Who to complain to re 0870 calls?????

codger
codger Posts: 2,079 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
We're ex-directory as well as registered with TPS. We've just checked to ensure the TPS registration is still current. It is.

But since March we've been getting calls every week from a company on 0870 220 9317.

More often than not these are silent calls, but in April we spoke to a 'real person'. She said she represented a "home improvement company". We told her we were TPS-registered and did not want any more calls. She promised that we would not be telephoned again.

But the calls have continued. We have caller display, and an incoming call log, so now have a dozen of these entries on file.

(Caller Display is great. . . if you happen to have the phone in your hand, otherwise whatever you're doing is still disrupted in going to the phone to answer it.)

We've attempted to identify the company but ICSTIS and Magsys CodeLook have no info other than the number is an Opal Telecoms number.

TPS says it doesn't handle complaints. ICSTIS says it doesn't handle complaints about 0870 numbers.

Any ideas about where to head next?

There must be others here who've had a similar experience to us?

:angry:

Comments

• JohalaReewi
    JohalaReewi Posts: 2,614 Forumite
    If you have caller display and an 0870 number shows up, just don't answer the call. Works for me every time.
  • BritBrat
    BritBrat Posts: 3,764 Forumite
    Yep report them here:
    http://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain/

I would ask them once more and failing that get a name each time they ring and report them moving up the managment level each time, trust me they won't like it once your past the first level.

I had a macro set up when I was getting a load of them and just clicked it to test for site link for you and they got reported again. :)

Oh well serves the right but I must edit the macro.
  • codger
    Thanks people for the quick response -- though Johala, the point about Caller Display is that it provides information. . .

It doesn't stop inconvenience.

I'm not psychic so when the phone rings, I have to stop whatever I'm doing and go answer it -- and only at that point does it become obvious who is ringing me.

So saying 'don't answer the call' isn't actually any kind of solution at all: I've already gone through all the processes involved in getting to the damn phone anyway.

BritBrat: yup, many thanks -- they're doing silent calls most of the time though, so the chances of actually getting a 'live' connection to move up through the management level are slim. And anyway, to get that connection means picking up the phone each time.

I'm going to take your very helpful advice and report to ofcom now. There's been enough hassle with this 'home improvement company' already -- as our incoming call log clearly shows.
  • dougk_2
    dougk_2 Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    Do what I do. If its for home improvements (doors, windows, kitchens etc) say yeah you are very interested and arrange an appointment for them to come and visit... then either be out at that time or don't answer the door.

My theory is they waste my time, i will waste thiers!
  • codger
    Quick follow-up:

You really know you're in the UK with its supine consumer protectionism: the response from Ofcom to harrassment from the "home improvement company" on 0870 220 9317 is:

We do not investigate individual consumer complaints. However, we record and monitor complaint levels. If we identify an area of concern we may raise the matter with the management of the company directly.

That disclaimer appeared after we'd just filled in the Ofcom complaints form.

Is the taxpayer funding the salaries of those who work for Ofcom ("we don't investigate complaints"), Telephone Preference Service ("we don't investgate complaints") and ICSTIS ("we don't investigate complaints relating to 0870 numbers")?????

Or are all the bureaucrats in those three organisations self-employed?????
  • BritBrat
    BritBrat Posts: 3,764 Forumite
    Oh, I cant remember getting that.

Did you follow the silent calls section?

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain/landline/nuisance/silent/
    If you have got the phone number of the person or company, please tell us what happened. It is important you give us as much information as possible.
    The information you provide will be used for monitoring purposes and we may use it to decide whether to investigate a particular company.
    You will receive an email to confirm we have received your form but we will not respond to your individual complaint.

Complete our online complaint form

Think I see what you mean, just keep filling it out every time they ring. If you can make a macro it only takes one click of mouse.
  • codger
    BritBrat: yup, you're absolutely right -- that text you've cp'd in your last post is exactly as it appears on the Ofcom site.

Note the phrasing: "we will not respond to your individual complaint".

Fair enough. It's not a response to me I want, it's a response to my complaint in the form of Ofcom action against those complained about.

But it's only when you've gone to the Ofcom complaints section and filled in a complaint form which asks you for as much detail of the complaint as possible that Ofcom then says. . .

We won't be investigating your complaint.

Perhaps I'd have done better with Ofcom's Department of Chocolate Ashtrays.

:confused:
  • wantmemoney
    wantmemoney Posts: 836 Forumite
    hi codger
    I don't know if this as already been suggested but if your TPS registered
    http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/
    The Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) is responsible for the enforcement of these regulations. Please click on the useful links page on this site for their details and for more information on this area of the law.
    mind you from what I've read on other forums regarding these guys there's little to pick between Ofcom, Icstis or the ICO.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Ridiculously, the TPS site advises people troubled by silent calls:
    Silent Calls
    If you have been troubled by calls where the phone rings but on answering there is no one there, you may wish to register your number on the Silent Callgard Service on 0870 4443969.

These calls are generated by automatic dialling equipment which dial more numbers than there are operators available to take the calls.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • wantmemoney
    wantmemoney Posts: 836 Forumite
    they're here as well
    http://thehardsell.wordpress.com/2007/05/17/telemarketers-scum-of-the-earth/

I'm guessing it's another call back revenue share scam and the "company" responsible isn't actually involved in anything that we would recognise as a legitimate business.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure