Are dual sim cards any good?

Options
Old_Gold
Old_Gold Posts: 908 Forumite
It is a while since these dual sim cards have been out so has anyone got any experience of them?
How do they work in practice? Does the phone ring if either number is rung? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

Comments

• esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There are several types of dual/triple SIM adapters available. With some you need to replace the battery or case, with others the adapter fits between the existing battery and case, and others require you to cut the chip off of two SIMs and stick them onto a special SIM that can contain two chips.

I used to have a triple-sim adapter in the form or a replacement back cover and it worked perfectly. The adapter connects one SIM to the phone at any one time, so the phone would only ring if the number of the connected SIM was called - the other two were effectively switched off.

This worked fine for me - I had a PAYG SIM for incoming calls, and briefly switched to one of my other outgoing SIMs to dial out, before switching back to my "main" number again.

The only problem was that people would sometimes try to call on the wrong number (and be rather confused at my explanation that I had differing numbers for incoming/outgoing calls!). You could get round this by turning off caller ID on your phone, but then no one would see your name/number appear on their phone when you call.

The dual-SIM adapters that require cutting your SIM can obviously go horibly awry if you make a mistake - then you just have to wait (and maybe pay) for a replacement one.

Hope this helps...
  • rash.m2k
    rash.m2k Posts: 976 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've used them. And if you get the twin sim - not cutting involved and no need for a new cover. These do drain some of the battery.

And also not all will work with all simcards. I got one and it worked with THREE (not the number the company!!!!) simcards on my N80 - it was quite strange but it only worked with some 3 simcards - not all. It worked with my old 3 simcard and my new one. But not my very recent contract sim (what I mean by work in this context is switching from one sim to the other it would crash and restart my phone - but still switched.)

But it doesn't work with my N95 - says simcard invalid even though it is unlocked!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure