The Great 'Medical Tourism' Hunt

Options

Comments

• wostok02
    wostok02 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    :cool:
    Not really but would like to get laser eye operation done.
    Both my friend and me are contact lense wearers and wondered where we could go for a safe and cheap treatment.
    Any recommendations and what shall we bear in mind re risks and dangers?:confused:
  • wostok02
    wostok02 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    :cool:
    Not really but would like to get laser eye operation done.
    Both my friend and me are contact lense wearers and wondered where we could go for a safe and cheap treatment.
    Any recommendations and what shall we bear in mind re risks and dangers?:confused:
  • drpachu
    drpachu Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    I am a Medic from India and regularly visit India for seeing family.This means I keep my dental and other physical check ups pending till my visit.I find it lot easy,cheap,quick and convinient this way as I know lot of my collegaues and friends in the industry!All I have to do is walk in and get it done!Of course for the fraction of the cost here.
    I also get my eyesight checked and lenses renewed.
    something missing
  • drpachu
    drpachu Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    forgot to tell you..
    And Goa and Kerala is close by where I go to!
    something missing
  • musty
    musty Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi
    Every when I go to Algeria, I have a full medical health done by a cardiologist. This includes a full range of test (blood, ecg, scanner, etc). I do pay for it but it is a mere 15 GBP and you can get an appointment within 2*3 days. The standars is surprisingly high. To do the same thing in England, you may have to go private as it is next to impossible to convince my GP + it would take months to have less than a comprehensive test.

I appreciate that Algeria is not exactly in the top destinations but I just want to share my experience.
  • TurnaroundSue
    TurnaroundSue Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    Options
    Toothsmith - I notice that most of the dentists abroad put their prices on their websites (and they seem much of a muchness) - could you please list your prices so I could have some comparables and also are most UK dentists around the same, or do they each have their own price lists? Many thanks
    When you were born, you were crying and everyone around was smiling. Live your life so at the end, you're the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying! :rotfl:
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Sure - The following is my price list. It's worth pointing out that the vast majority of my patients are on Denplan, and so pay a monthly fee, which means my 'price list' is largely irrelevant to them. The only time they would pay me anything extra would be for cosmetic treatments (Like tooth whitening) or the technicians fee should they need anything involving labwork (Crowns, bridges, dentures etc)

Different dentists will have their own price lists, largely dependant on the area they practice, and level of training etc.

Initial Exam- £75.00
    Routine Exam - £40.00

Cleaning:
    With dentist £37.00
    Hygienist visit £56.00

Fillings:
    Amalgam **** from £63.00
    Composite **** from £71.00

Root Fillings:
    Front Teeth £147.50
    Back Teeth £262.50

Crowns:
    Many types from £300 - £650

Dentures:
    Full Acrylic from £600.00
    Partial Acrylic from £245.00
    Metal based from £450

Extractions £78.00
    Out of Hours call out fee £70.00

Treatment of Gum Disease:
    A course of hygienist visits to chart and treat gum problems £320.00

Tooth Whitening:
    Single tooth £120.00
    Single Arch £200.00
    Whole Mouth £340.00
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • forbern
    forbern Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I am new to posting on this site, but I felt I must mention dentistry abroad. I went to Spain for a two week holiday. While there I was able to get a new set of dentures made in 8 Days! This was great as I couldnt even get a dentist where I live. They are good fitting, and good quapity workmanship. I know where I will be going for my next ones. Theye werent cheap but far superior than any I have had in the past 30 years
  • suzy_g
    suzy_g Posts: 726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lesleyfb wrote: »
    I'd like a full facelift, a neck lift and upper eyelids done plus maybe a brow lift. Just about anywhere is cheaper than the UK but does anyone have a recommedation for the safest most reputable place to get the above done.
    Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.
    i woudnt mind a face lift and possibly some lippo
    has any one had these thing done abroad??
  • bubbleandsqueak_2
    Options
    We visit Bangkok regularly and a few years ago started going to the Dentist there. The clinic we use is superb, like a 5 star hotel complete with small cafe. The care and skill they have is unbelievable. I had to have a bridge replaced, which requires several hours in a dentist chair (or fully reclining, ergonomic leather bed in this case!) and I was so comfortable and relaxed I fell asleep during the treatment. The cost was a fraction of the U.K. and we used an expensive clinic, we could have saved even more had we used a cheaper alternative. The treatment has been praised very highly by my U.K. dentist. Interestingly, they identified extensive problems with my husband's teeth, which our dentist in the U.K. had not seen, or bothered to treat and this has resulted in our taking the practice to court.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback