The Great 'Medical Tourism' Hunt

Options

Comments

• Denzelpuppy
    Denzelpuppy Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    theredfox wrote: »
    Can you say WHERE?!
    Interesting as this thread is, it's real value will lie in sharing some information.
    Theres a few other posts here also, saying XYZ is just great, but don't say WHERE in XYZ!

Not so much education, education, education, as information, information, information....that's what we need. That's what allows us to benefit from dental holidays.

Just a quick web link - then we can go see, check out prices, e mail, and make plans.

"This thread has been viewed 3579 times. "
    - so it could be a great resource, IF we can get some more information.

here is the one I used in Budapest http://implantcentre.hu/

and some prices in £ & € as a guide, obviously some places will be cheaper and some more expensive BUT here is the cruncher, no matter where you go it will always be better and cheaper than the UK

Consultation. I £0
    X-Ray £0 0 €
    X-Ray / biting £0 0 €
    X-Ray / Panoramic £0 0 €
    Scaling and polishing £69 103 €
    Filling I £48 72 €
    Filling II £68 101 €
    Temporary filling after root canal treatment £7 10 €
    Filling removal £7 10 €
    Inlay/ + Material price £180 270 €
    Veneer £189 273 €
    Root canal filling / 1 rooted tooth £69 103 €
    Root canal treatment and filling - 2 canal £138 206 €
    Root canal treatment and filling - 3 canal £207 309 €
    Root canal treatment and filling - 4 canal £276 412 €
    Composite bonding £33 48 €
    Root canal filling after temp. filling £7 10 €
    Buildup with a post £64 95 €
    Extraction £31 47 €
    Metal crown £69 103 €
    Porcelain Crown fused to metal /Bridge /piece £169 253 €
    Crown/Bridge anchored on implant £189 283 €
    Plastic Crown £24 36 €
    Jacket Krone £180 270 €
    Procera Crown made in Sweden £338 507 €
    Temporary crown / piece £24 36 €
    Temporary prothesis £310 465 €
    Crown removal £7 10 €
    Bridge removal / crowns £7 10 €
    Grinding surface refining £28 40 €
    Gold material £70 104 €
    Bite raising appliance £50 74 €
    Wax up / tooth £20 30 €
    Special attachments £166 249 €
    Metal frame for prosthesis £414 621 €
    Teeth for prosthesis/ piece £21 31 €
    Implant and metal bar supported protheses £1600 2400 €
    Complete upper or lower denture £310 465 €
    Tooth whitening / tooth £35 50 €
    Tooth whitening / home £104 156 €
    Tooth whitening / clinic with Plasma lamp Zoom £380 570 €
    Temporary clip up to 4 teeth £80 120 €
    Long term temporary crowns / piece £50
    if i had known then what i know now
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Denzel

im quite surprised at some of these costs here, they dont actually seem overly cheap compared to the last dentist I went to in London. A scale and polish at 69 quid! I only paid 18 in london adn I thought that was steep, as I usually pay 11 in stockport.

I guess it works out cheap if you dont have to pay for the xrays... :confused:
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,075 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I was going to say that too!

Then there are 'extras' like 'removing crowns' and 'temporary crowns'.

The prices are probably cheaper than city centre 'cosmetic' practices, but nothing remarkable compared to high street UK dentists.

The Procera crown is only £25 cheaper than I charge!!! (All Procera crowns are made in Sweden)

A 1/2 hour Clean and Polish with my hygienist is £59.

When you add 'filling removal' to the 'filling' charge, then that would also work out similar to my charge.

I notice that the 'metal frame for a prosthesis' (denture) is charged seperately to the teeth, which seem to be £21 EACH! This again would make it similar to the majority of UK prices.

Root filling prices are not out of line with UK private prices, and then you must add in the removal of filling cost, temporary filling cost, and the final filling afterwards.

The implant cost IS cheaper, but nowhere near the 4x cheaper claimed early on in the thread, and there is no indication of other things like bone grafts and sinus lifts which are often needed as well, and are probably included in the UK 'quotes' written here.

I notice a 'wax-up' cost of £20 per tooth. This is also an essential diagnostic proceedure, and with 12-16 teeth in each jaw, could easily add £240 - £320 to most cosmetic proceedures (Assuming they're done correctly - which I'm sure they will be).

So - This is NOT a remarkably cheap price list Denzel. Had you looked around a bit in the UK, you could easily match it.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,075 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Or they are so busy, because most have gone to private treatment, to make more money, than on the NHS system, so the few NHS dentists there are are over subscribed

:confused::confused::confused:

Do you actually understand what you mean here??
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • justin_1975
    justin_1975 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Me and my girlfriend were living in Laos and she managed to break a tooth, we took a trip to Bangkok where she went to the Mission Hospital. She had - a consultation one day, and the tooth rebuilt the following day and the cost was 12USD included some x-rays and aneasthetic. The dentist said that he was doing a temporary repair, but when we returned 2 years later to the UK her own dentist asked where she had had the work done as he could not believe how good the quality of the repair was and told her that it should last the rest of her life.
  • Denzelpuppy
    Options
    Toothsmith wrote: »
    I was going to say that too!

Then there are 'extras' like 'removing crowns' and 'temporary crowns'.

The prices are probably cheaper than city centre 'cosmetic' practices, but nothing remarkable compared to high street UK dentists.

The Procera crown is only £25 cheaper than I charge!!! (All Procera crowns are made in Sweden)

A 1/2 hour Clean and Polish with my hygienist is £59.

When you add 'filling removal' to the 'filling' charge, then that would also work out similar to my charge.

I notice that the 'metal frame for a prosthesis' (denture) is charged seperately to the teeth, which seem to be £21 EACH! This again would make it similar to the majority of UK prices.

Root filling prices are not out of line with UK private prices, and then you must add in the removal of filling cost, temporary filling cost, and the final filling afterwards.

The implant cost IS cheaper, but nowhere near the 4x cheaper claimed early on in the thread, and there is no indication of other things like bone grafts and sinus lifts which are often needed as well, and are probably included in the UK 'quotes' written here.

I notice a 'wax-up' cost of £20 per tooth. This is also an essential diagnostic proceedure, and with 12-16 teeth in each jaw, could easily add £240 - £320 to most cosmetic proceedures (Assuming they're done correctly - which I'm sure they will be).

So - This is NOT a remarkably cheap price list Denzel. Had you looked around a bit in the UK, you could easily match it.

I obtained 3 quotes in the Uk before I booked up with this Hungarian Dental Practice, and for the work i had done out their the lowest quote I had was £8500 and the most expensive was £12000 - so i would say the £3000 was at the extreme 4 times less expensive.
  • Denzelpuppy
    Options
    Toothsmith wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused:

Do you actually understand what you mean here??

yes perfectly what I'm saying here is that Dentists in the Uk are manipulating the system ie. the fewer NHS dentists there are then that means more people have to pay for private treatment which means more money in your pocket.

I notice you did not comment on my post about UK dentists keeping up with modern equipment and procedures? Mmmmmm why should a buy a Dental laser at £ 750,000 + and have to buy a cheaper car when i can use this old equipment and charge a fortune. Or why shouyld i hire an anethetist and have my income for using TIVA when i can use the old lidocaine at only a little cost? nah never mind the really nervous patients let em suffer.

This thread is about saving money and of course your going to defend your profession to the hilt, you'd be a fool not to BUT the treatment is cheaper in place like Hungary, Turkey, Thailand, etcetc.

Oh and by the way there is a place in Bulgaria that make the Procera crowns as well and they hadve the CAD machine to make them as well and offer Procera crowns fitted in 1 Day
  • Denzelpuppy
    Options
    lynzpower wrote: »
    Denzel

im quite surprised at some of these costs here, they dont actually seem overly cheap compared to the last dentist I went to in London. A scale and polish at 69 quid! I only paid 18 in london adn I thought that was steep, as I usually pay 11 in stockport.

I guess it works out cheap if you dont have to pay for the xrays... :confused:

It's like anything it's as cheap as you want it to be, these prices were good for me. It's like sitting on the plane going on holiday if you've booked your package holiday, the chances are you can all be going to the same resort and non of you pay the same price. there will be some that are cheaper, and some more expensive. I personnally think that so long as it's cheaper than here in the Uk then I've got a bargain, but and heres the rub, if I'd had bad treatment or wasn't happy with my treatment I'd have begrudged paying a pound let alone 3000
  • rosil
    rosil Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Have been reading this thread and have to say that Toothsmith is probably the only one that seems to grasp the subject.
    Was it RedFox who wrote something to the effect that the BDA stated that the standard of Hungarian dentistry is superior to that of the UK. If so please provide the reference.If you compare the standard of some NHS treatment then perhaps it is not as good as Hungarian dentistry but you would have to factor in the certainty that the Hungarian would be earning more . If only Red Fox appreciated how little is earned via the NHS. No disrespect to Plumbers but their hourly rate and call out charges are much higher-check it out Mr Fox
    Years ago I saw dental work coming out of Bulgaria and Russia which was so poor with crowns like prefabricated tin cans, amalgam fillings on anterior teeth rootcanals filled with immovable cement. This was at a time when our NHS was providing a service. Now that the Eastern Europeans have access to materials and money their standards have improved and conversely our NHS has deteriorated to the old Bulgarian/Russian standards and before anybody challenges me this is not the fault of the NHS dentist but the fault of NHS dental funding. It has been years since there was a death from dental decay but many people are unfortunately suffering from an underfunded NHS in our hospitals. Dentistry under the NHS is looked upon as a luxury in the eyes of those who control the funding-should the NHS pay for crown and bridge work at the expense of depriving some child life saving treatment. There is sadly only limited money around and people have to become used to paying for (quality)dentistry
  • Denzelpuppy
    Options
    rosil wrote: »
    Have been reading this thread and have to say that Toothsmith is probably the only one that seems to grasp the subject.
    Was it RedFox who wrote something to the effect that the BDA stated that the standard of Hungarian dentistry is superior to that of the UK. If so please provide the reference.If you compare the standard of some NHS treatment then perhaps it is not as good as Hungarian dentistry but you would have to factor in the certainty that the Hungarian would be earning more . If only Red Fox appreciated how little is earned via the NHS. No disrespect to Plumbers but their hourly rate and call out charges are much higher-check it out Mr Fox
    Years ago I saw dental work coming out of Bulgaria and Russia which was so poor with crowns like prefabricated tin cans, amalgam fillings on anterior teeth rootcanals filled with immovable cement. This was at a time when our NHS was providing a service. Now that the Eastern Europeans have access to materials and money their standards have improved and conversely our NHS has deteriorated to the old Bulgarian/Russian standards and before anybody challenges me this is not the fault of the NHS dentist but the fault of NHS dental funding. It has been years since there was a death from dental decay but many people are unfortunately suffering from an underfunded NHS in our hospitals. Dentistry under the NHS is looked upon as a luxury in the eyes of those who control the funding-should the NHS pay for crown and bridge work at the expense of depriving some child life saving treatment. There is sadly only limited money around and people have to become used to paying for (quality)dentistry

Now this might be the voice of ignorance But I always thought that the main reason was the goverment try to curb inflation and saw that the Dentists were earning above the limits imposed by them so created a new contract paying less for certain aspects of dentistry, to which they rejected it in large volumes and stuck to fingers up to the goverment and said sod this were going private only and getting rid of our NHS patients?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure