How can I improve digital tv reception

Options
Hi all
We have satelite tv downstairs run off a dish. The reception there is really good which is what I'd expect
We also have a freeview ready tv in one of our bedrooms and this is the one that I'm having very poor reception and signal problems
The tv is run from an indoor aerial sat high up on a book case about 3 feet from the tv itself.
Is there some sort of amplifier which would guarantee a far better quality of signal without resorting to an outside aerial ?
Any answers / response would be appreciated
Thanks Chris

Comments

• Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    An amplifier will probably just amplify the noise you're receiving and not improve reception at all.

An external aerial is the only sure way.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A loft aerial would be the next best thing to an external one.
    Or if you can live with watching the same channel on both sets, use the RF2 feed with a magic eye from the Sky box to the second TV.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is an old adage that there is no substitute for metalwork in the sky. Dont be fooled by amplifiers etc. They are just snake oil to waste money on. You need to fit an outside antenna or maybe one in the loft. You could also consider taking a feed off the sat LNB if it has more than one outlet to feed this other tv or distributing the output from the satellite fed tv to the other one.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Even get that current indoor aerial into the loft - height is very important. I'm assuming you've already tried the dark magic of dancing around the room with the aerial in all sorts of different positions pointing in all different directions...
  • Moneymaker
    Moneymaker Posts: 1,984 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm certain that C_Mababejiv was referring to amplifiers in relation to the indoor aerial and not snubbing amplifiers in general. Most people have no concept of what an amplifier actually does and no concept of "noise floor".
  • mcfisco
    mcfisco Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is there some sort of amplifier which would guarantee a far better quality of signal without resorting to an outside aerial ?

Guarantee?

The likely least stressful and cheapest option would probably be to buy a new digital sat box for the TV upstairs and feed it from your existing dish.

Trying to sort Terrestrial off-air reception issues can often be more of a black art than science and can start getting expensive but the way that would be most guaranteed to work with it would be a whole new aerial and downlead, but you never know :)
    I have long known that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure