Sundaysgirl's MFW journey - better late than never!

Options

Comments

• hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds very familiar!
    EVERYTHING!
    full rewire and spots in most rooms - check
    new boiler and rads - avoided this, thankfully (quote of 5k but we won't do it now)
    new (not at all MSE!) bathroom - also did the downstairs toilet...probably could have been a bit more MSE but we did all right :)
    new kitchen flooring - plus new kitchen for us ;)
    all rooms replastered and redecorated - didn't fully replaster, but all rooms got at least one wall done
    new ceilings - death to polystyrene tiles and wallpapered ceilings!
    floors (including staircase) stripped back to original boards - we've replaced all the carpet with hardwood, still have the 2 staircases left to do
    new fence and outdoors lighting and wiring - still need to landscape

... basically it is now a completely different, beautiful (IMO!) home, exactly how I want it. Now to do the same to the next house...!

Budget app says we've spent £17,637.18 in our home maintenance and home improvement categories, and we started using it 8 months after moving in (so probably another 2-3k there). That also includes £6k to install solar panels.

I guess on the plus side, when we go to sell there shouldn't be much left to do! Possibly paint everything magnolia if recommended and power wash the outside of the house.
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My parents still have polystyrene ceiling tiles in every room :eek:
  • hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    Options
    DIY-wise they were the best as they were super quick/easy to take down, especially compared to wallpaper! Fire hazard-wise, though, not so pleasant.
  • Sundaysgirl
    Options
    Standard mortgage payment (now reduced thanks to base rate cut!) taken whilst we were on holiday, I spent less than budgeted so have OP'd an additional £150 and aiming to do same again closer to pay day all being well. Mortgage at £10,678.53, daily interest 66p!
    MFW 2017 #123 2018: £1,852.64/£39,200 (4.7%)
  • chelseablue
    Options
    66p! Mines about 9 quid a day :rotfl:

Wasn't going to over pay this month, but I think I will now!
  • Sundaysgirl
    Options
    Pay day!

£2,300 OP'd (have also made a few very small OPs thanks to £co etc over past week or so), balance now at £8,372.91 :)
  • Sundaysgirl
    Options
    Another small £co OP made: £14.35. Mortgage at £8,361.13.

Thanks to my role change I have another pay day next week so hoping to OP a large part of this "bonus" pay and reduce balance to £4,000. May manage to become MF before we move house at this rate!
  • hiddenshadow
    Options
    That would be brilliant. :)
  • Sundaysgirl
    Sundaysgirl Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    New pay day has been and gone - another £2,750 OP'd (annoyingly realised I have to hold back all of the following month bill payments as I'm now paid first working day but not first thing, so the DDs come out before I'm paid...).

Also made a few smaller OPs totalling £25.71 thanks to TCB, £co and COS cash outs.

Mortgage at £4,900.95 and I'm struggling not to just pay it off from savings (but they're tax sheltered...). Will see what happens with the house move - may happen this month, next, or not at all - if it's looking like this month I will use savings to become MF, otherwise I will sit tight and try to do so from November salary in two weeks.
  • Sundaysgirl
    Sundaysgirl Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So I have two bits of exciting news:

1. we exchanged on our new home on Friday (finally and after weeks of stress!). Completion in a few weeks :)

2. pay day yesterday and I paid off the mortgage balance - called Nationwide to confirm and I am officially mortgage free :):) (for a few weeks until the whopper kicks in on the new place, anyway!)

So I'll be starting a new thread to chart our new journey once that starts!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure