PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How to remove smells from car upholstery

Options

Comments

• telboyo
    telboyo Posts: 410 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bobauto77 wrote: »
    I had a drunken friend throw up in the back of my car and the smell was truly unbearable. I did everything I could to clean up the mess, get my car detailed and cleaned but nothing would work. I searched on the internet " how to get rid of odors in my car" and this website popped up called spamspamspam.com. I found one of their products called the Auto Shocker and ordered a few. I ended up only having to use one Auto Shocker because after I was done using it the odor in my car was completely gone and never came back. It was very easy to use and i'm keeping the other ones just incase I come across this terrible situation again. I really suggest you give it a try. Wish you well!
    Please if you are going to spam have the decency to spell odour correctly.
  • I've been around cars my entire life and have dealt with cars that have terrible odors such cig, mold/mildew, chemical, you name it. I would spend too much time and money on shampooing and detailing, almost every time having no success. A mechanic friend of mine told me about this product called the AutoShocker Quick Release from biocidesystems.com and he said that it is a great product for eliminating strong odors in cars and it's eco friendly which was great to hear. I bought one on the site and put one in a car I was working on that had many years of Cigarette smoke smell and let it sit there for about 18 hours (works up to a maximum of 24 hours). When I came back to check on the car I let it air out for 30 min as instructed and to my surprise the cig smell was completely non existent I was very excited to see that it had worked like their website claims. The product is very inexpensive and easy to use. I recommend to anyone with an odor in their car to try the Auto Shocker! By the way they have products for home use as well that I am going to look into.
  • faerie~spangles
    Options
    Spammers in da hoose:mad:
    I'm not that way reclined

Jewelry? Seriously? Sheldon you are the most shallow, self-centered person I have ever met. Do you really think that another transparently-manipu... OH, IT'S A TIARA! A tiara; I have a tiara! Put it on me! Put it on me! Put it on me! Put it on me! Put it on me! Put it on me! Put it on me!
  • furlmouse24
    Options
    My dog threw up all over my seat the other day. (She'd eaten a whole box of Thorntons toffee without my knowledge - had aI known, she would've stayed at home!) So my car now reeks. I scrubbed the seat when it happened, had the roof down to air it out a bit - but when I got in the next morning, I nearly added to the smell myself. Have since taken the seats out, scrubbed them again using upholstery cleaner, antibacterial spray and Febreeze, cleaned the carpets, doors and everywhere else I could - including the inside of the roof - (I swear, she must have exploded) and had the roof down all day - and it still stinks. I don't mean a little whiff, I mean STINKS. Short of getting a new seat, and bearing in mind that the 'incident' happened 3 days ago, what can I do?! I have to drive for my job, and all I can smell is vomit! Please help!
  • rubinhoioper
    Options
    I've been using an odour neutraliser in my car for a few months now and the smells i used to suffer with have completely gone.. ONA block's are the one, nice and simple, open the lid and just leave in the car to completely kill the smell :)
  • miken
    miken Posts: 246 Forumite
    Options
    Awful smell of fish in my car. Took it to a valet but its still there.
    Trouble is I cannot find where its coming from. Its not the engine as a garage checked it for me.
    Guess I need to treat all the seats and carpets but with what. Have read the previous comments, some I have tried and failed, some still to try.
    Any further ideas, Its driving me frying mad.
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    miken wrote: »
    Awful smell of fish in my car. Took it to a valet but its still there.
    Trouble is I cannot find where its coming from. Its not the engine as a garage checked it for me.
    Guess I need to treat all the seats and carpets but with what. Have read the previous comments, some I have tried and failed, some still to try.
    Any further ideas, Its driving me frying mad.

Have you recently ended a relationship with someone who shares your car? A classic revenge trick is to tuck a prawn somewhere it won't be spotted and let it stink for days :D

Can you pinpoint where in the car the smell is strongest? If so try sprinkling that area liberally with bicarb of soda and leave it overnight, then vaccuum up and if you can leave the car doors or at least the windows wide open for an hour or so if you have off street parking and can easily keep an eye on it to make sure it or its contents aren't getting nicked, as fresh air should help enormously.
  • miken
    miken Posts: 246 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks will try that tonight if I can get some Bicarb at Mr S tonight.
  • My favorite product to use for this is called Freshana Organic Solutions. It's organic but it's not expensive (and we are on a money saving site!) :) Can't recommend it enough.
  • MrsAtobe
    MrsAtobe Posts: 1,404 Forumite
    Options
    Cut an onion in half and put it in the car. When you smell the onion, remove it and all the bad smells will have gone with it. A friend of a friend used to work for a car hire company, it's how they dealt with smells from spilt milk, leaks, etc in their cars. It only takes a day or so and I can definitely say it works for spilt milk :)
    Good enough is good enough, and I am more than good enough!:j

If all else fails, remember, keep calm and hug a spaniel!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure