PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How to remove smells from car upholstery

Options

Comments

• dutchy
    dutchy Posts: 101 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Many thanks for the tips! A bit of a thick question; is Bicarb of Soda the same as Baking Powder?

dutchy
    Toto, something tells me we're not in Kansas anymore......
  • marmiterulesok
    marmiterulesok Posts: 7,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    dutchy wrote: »
    Many thanks for the tips! A bit of a thick question; is Bicarb of Soda the same as Baking Powder?

dutchy

I think so!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    dutchy wrote: »

dutchy

They aren't quite the same thing....baking powder contains bicarb but also has cream of tartar added to it.

This thread will explain it better than I can: bicarb or baking powder?

Pink
  • Brooktop
    Brooktop Posts: 124 Forumite
    Options
    Make sure it's white vinegar you use. Be warned that if using on fabric it WILL leave an odour....but it should go within a few days.

After it's totally dry, you could sprinke bicarb of soda on it and leave it for a day before vacuuming. That will also help get rid of any lingering odours.
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    if the stain is dry then sprinkle bicarb on it leave at least 12 hours then vacuum off. you may need to repeat it. but it does work - my oh put a bag of composting peeling etc inthe boot of our two month old car and the ruddy bag leaked! result - the car stank! I told him to have patience and let the stain dry out then try the bicarb. miracle of miracles he actually listend to me and the car was smell free in a couple of days! actually the first application took about 75% of the smell away and the second time it really did work wonders! he tells all his mates about it now cos he cannot believe a 75p tub of cooking stuff worked so well!
  • dutchy
    dutchy Posts: 101 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all!

A quick update on this; I gave the area a liberal spraying with the bicarb of soda/vinegar/water mix, and it seems to have done the trick! Partner has taken the car for a longish journey this morning, and their nose is better than mine, so will get an update/opinion later. But to my nose, it smelt OK.

Thank you everyone for the help! I knew I could rely on you lovely OS'ers!

dutchy
    Toto, something tells me we're not in Kansas anymore......
  • Brooktop
    Brooktop Posts: 124 Forumite
    Options
    And not a drop of Fabreze anywhere :D I find that it just masks odours and the smell comes back a day later when the Fabreze has worn off.
  • JJ_Henry
    Options
    What you need is a odor eliminator. I had the same problem when my kid barfed in the van. It smelled for weeks, until my neighbor told me about Auto Shocker. It's an odor eliminator that gets deep down and kills the odor. You really have to try this stuff. It's also environmentally friendly so no harsh chemicals are left behind.You can get this stuff from a company called Biocide Systems. Look them up online.
  • oojimmyflip
    Options
    to wipe out nasty smells in the car seats or carpet get a hold of some ammonia
    if you can still get it dilute with water and pour about a litre through the offending furnishings leave for about an hour then vax dry or hoover with a wet and dry hoover. ammonia knocks out these odours easily but it is getting hard to get hold of , the nanny state likes to over protect us when we have such useful cleanning products by taking them away from us.
  • bobauto77
    Options
    I had a drunken friend throw up in the back of my car and the smell was truly unbearable. I did everything I could to clean up the mess, get my car detailed and cleaned but nothing would work. I searched on the internet " how to get rid of odors in my car" and this website popped up called biocidesystems.com. I found one of their products called the Auto Shocker and ordered a few. I ended up only having to use one Auto Shocker because after I was done using it the odor in my car was completely gone and never came back. It was very easy to use and i'm keeping the other ones just incase I come across this terrible situation again. I really suggest you give it a try. Wish you well!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure