Birthday Party

Options
Hi!

My DD turns 6 this year and as usual we are holding a party.

The problem is - Her birthday is in the first week back to school in September so I need to send the invites out before they break up for the 6 weeks (I dont see any of the other mums during the holiday as we live in a different village to the school)

I also know (from last year) that there are a fair few other birthdays in Sept also, I want to get my invites out before all of the others ones start coming through otherwise people *might* not come to DD's

When do you think would be the best time to send the invites out? School breaks up last week in July, I was thinking of sending them out the 3rd week in july.

Comments

• peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh crikey, I think if you send them out before summer hols people will just forget all about it. Could you not have the party a week after her birthday and take the invites in on the first day of term?

I know it's very awkward when birthdays are in or near summer holidays, my DD's is on 31st July, I gave up having parties on her birthday and now have her party/event during the last week of term, far better than people forgetting all about it because they're too busy.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Mimi_Arc_en_ciel
    Options
    Oh crikey, I think if you send them out before summer hols people will just forget all about it. Could you not have the party a week after her birthday and take the invites in on the first day of term?

I know it's very awkward when birthdays are in or near summer holidays, my DD's is on 31st July, I gave up having parties on her birthday and now have her party/event during the last week of term, far better than people forgetting all about it because they're too busy.

I think if i do that though then a lot of people would have already signed up to the other parties and wont come (I think theres around 6 kids, including DD, whose birthday is in Sept :eek:)

I was thinking of texting people to remind them about it (I have a few numbers) maybe at the end of Aug, or seeing the parents in the playground to say "ohh dont forget...." the first week back
  • Gillyx
    Gillyx Posts: 6,847 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In all honesty I think it's just one of those things. I'd send them out in July but be mindful of the fact people may forget and if they get invitations in the first week of school, go to those. I know what it's like in here, bits of paper come in and get misplaced and I can remember nothing :o head like a sieve but we're pretty disorganised in here :D
    The frontier is never somewhere else. And no stockades can keep the midnight out.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Options
    Could you not just talk to the other parents and come to an agreement who's going to have their party when so that none clash?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Options
    Could you not get together with the other parents & organise one big party?
    We used to do that when son was younger & it worked out cheaper for us all.
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • Mimi_Arc_en_ciel
    Mimi_Arc_en_ciel Posts: 4,831 Forumite
    Options
    A few of the other children already have joint parties - However i dont think DD gets along with 2 of them, plus, I'd rather give DD "Her" day rather than sharing it - also cost for me isn't that much at the mo. I've booked to have it in the local hall which is £10 for the full day :money:
  • preeti22
    preeti22 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Send birthday party invitation before two weeks of birthday.We did the same when we celebrated my daughter's birthday with help of www[.]partyprincessproductions[.]com
  • zoesmummy_2006
    Options
    my lil man is 5 on 27th august, and having started school last year and been invited to LOADS of parties since then hes desperate to have a party for his birthday.

I'm planning on giving his invites out on the last day of school and whoever makes it makes it, those that don't its not a problem as there's going to be at least 8-10 friends from out of school too, though its boys only from school apparently lol.
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    How about giving out invites 2nd to last week of term, asking people to respond by text?

That way you have

1) Time to follow up any non replies on the playground.
    2) Have all the mobile numbers to text people a couple of days before the party to remind them about it.

DS bday mid august, DD beg July. They're having a joint party on Saturday! I like getting these things out of the way...
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport