play with tesco & first direct

Hoping to get confirmation that my plan is sound..

I've recently applied for a Tesco credit card 0% purchases for 16 months, and was approved for £3500. I've also applied and was accepted for a first direct 1st bank account and plan to open a Regular Saver account with them, that comes with a 6% interest (fixed term for 1 year). My plan is to put the grocery shopping on the Tesco 0% purchases for the next year and save the money (up to £300 monthly I believe) in the First direct savings account. Then after a year pay off the Tesco card in full. Is that a good plan, am I missing something? Tesco won't be charging any interest as long as I make min payments, right?

Thank you.

Replies

• edited 3 June 2013 at 1:14PM
    mrs_Tmrs_T Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 3 June 2013 at 1:14PM
    Yes, this is called slow stoozing. Don't repay in full after a year, you have 16 months 0% credit available so just find the next best high interest saver and move the lump sum to that. At the end of the 16 months 0% you may wish to move your cc debt to another 0% card and continue earning interest on the stoozed amount if you can find an account that beats the fee on the next 0% card. Some people like to pay a pound or two over the minimum each month as they say it prevents a marker on their credit score, I don't do this and have not had problems getting new cards when I want them.
  • alecsaalecsa Forumite
    28 Posts
    Thanks, well I don't like balance transfers as they tend to come with a 3%+ transfer fee (right?), that is why I am planning to pay it in full.

And I don't like credit card debt either, all those money in the Tesco credit card will be sitting in the FD savings account for one year.
  • mrs_Tmrs_T Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    If you look here you can get 26 months 0% for less than a 3% fee http://www.stoozing.com/credit-cards/balance-transfer-cards.php so you only have to earn 1.5% annual interest to beat that. Of course the money should be in a savings account or offset against other more expensive debt like a mortgage.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Fans demand refunds from Leeds Festival

...after Rage Against The Machine pulls out

MSE News

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Free museums & galleries

Where to get your culture fix across the UK

MSE Deals