Say no to 0800 website.

Options
I am trying to phone the AA, Increasingly I find the numbers listed on the Say no to 0800 site are taken down. Obviously firms are monitoring it. I really feel angry about this, can't Martins site start a media campaign to show them up? What about watchdog? Can they go on there?:mad: These people are ripping us off. Is there anywhere else I can go to find alternative numbers which is not so well known?
Pam

Comments

• giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,561 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Maybe if you are given an alternative site name they will monitor this too?
  • Chickenbrain2009
    Options
    True, but it takes them time to catch up with it
  • zaax
    zaax Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    saynoto0870 website? I find most of them on there.
    BTW the AA is a rip off green flag is a lot cheaper, and if you regularly service the car you will find you don’t need them.
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
  • DonnyDave
    DonnyDave Posts: 1,579 Forumite
    Options
    I am trying to phone the AA, Increasingly I find the numbers listed on the Say no to 0800 site are taken down. Obviously firms are monitoring it. I really feel angry about this, can't Martins site start a media campaign to show them up? What about watchdog? Can they go on there?:mad: These people are ripping us off. Is there anywhere else I can go to find alternative numbers which is not so well known?
    Pam
    I am an administrator of the alternative numbers database on the SayNoTo0870.com site. We recently discussed in the forum about there apparently being more non-working numbers listed.

Our site lists numbers that are found to work and visitors to the site are free to use them for no charge.

The more visitors try a number, find it doesn't work, but don't bother to say, the more the quality of the listings will decline. Its effectiveness relies on everyone pitching in. The more people who don't bother, the more we all suffer.

Anyone who tries a number and doesn't report it is leaving other visitors to follow in their footsteps, wasting their time. The fact is that such people are only interested in one person: themselves. They choose to take out but wish to avoid putting in.
  • Chickenbrain2009
    Options
    I did email you to say that none of them were working

Pam
  • DonnyDave
    Options
    I did email you to say that none of them were working

Pam
    Thanks.

It is frustrating to know that there are others who wouldn't have done it.
  • Chickenbrain2009
    Options
    What it proably needs is more visitors as only a proportion will input. I just think that it would be useful for Martins website or somebody to contact say Watchdog to complain about the charges we are are subjected to and to give the site a boost.
    Its an excellent idea.
  • DonnyDave
    Options
    There will be upcoming changes in the coming years. All users of 084, 087, 09 and 118 numbers will have to advise of the amount they benefit from calls which is the Service Charge. This will expose the situation as it is now, but at the present time users aren't open and often quote the call rate from one atypical provider which applies to less and less callers.

Freephone numbers will be made free to call from mobiles.

The EU Consumer Rights Directive is to be implemented into UK law and requires companies to charge no more than the "basic rate" for post-contract customer enquiries. The Directive allows some types of business to be excluded, such as financial services, and we await its decision on whether this will be the case or not.

The exposure of the Service Charges makes clear that such numbers aren't basic rate.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,561 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    if you regularly service the car you will find you don’t need them.

Big news. Regular servicing prevents tyre bursts!
  • MillicentBystander
    MillicentBystander Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    edited 3 June 2013 at 3:31PM
    Options
    Which 0800 number are you trying to get through on? I've just tried 2 (car ins and home insurance, 0800 316 2456 and 0800 197 6169 respectively) and got through to a non Geo number both times with my favourite mobile app, weq4u. Which is surprising as I thought it used the saynoto0870 database?

PS No, it can't use that database as it simply assigned an 0333 number to each call. Very useful app in my experience (it's claiming it's saved me over £70 since I installed it 6 months ago but I can't quite believe that).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure