Selling concert tickets on ebay / Stub-Hub - advice please?

Options
13»

Comments

• RiskyFlyingDave
    Options
    Avoid StubHub at all costs.
    My romance with StubHub hit the rocks almost immediately.
    I for years had bought and sold tickets through auctions like eBay with no issues at all until suddenly I was told that eBay had this 'wonderful new site' and I found eBay had 'barred' me from listing my tickets.
    Straight away I hit snags when trying to 'sign-in' to StubHubUK as it does not work with some internet browsers, most notably IE10 which I think just about everybody uses! Calling StubHubUK help received a "Yeah, we know about this" response.
    Making your listing is not easy, there is no 'Auction' facility so you are stuck with a price. Their charges are astronomical, you can only send your tickets by UPS (unless you pay extra postage and are penalised by StubHub too) AND you will not get your money until (up to) two weeks after the show ends.
    BASICALLY STUBHUB STINKS.
  • rockin_plumber
    Options
    Making your listing is not easy, there is no 'Auction' facility so you are stuck with a price. Their charges are astronomical, you can only send your tickets by UPS (unless you pay extra postage and are penalised by StubHub too) AND you will not get your money until (up to) two weeks after the show ends.

And this is A GOOD THING :T:T:T
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,328 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My romance with StubHub hit the rocks almost immediately.
    I for years had bought and sold tickets through auctions like eBay with no issues at all until suddenly I was told that eBay had this 'wonderful new site' and I found eBay had 'barred' me from listing my tickets.
    Straight away I hit snags when trying to 'sign-in' to StubHubUK as it does not work with some internet browsers, most notably IE10 which I think just about everybody uses! Calling StubHubUK help received a "Yeah, we know about this" response.

Traditionally ticket touting has always been a bit of a risk on ebay as buyers often bought tickets and found themselves out of pocket later. As a buyer I welcome the idea that funds are not released to the seller until ebay are happy that I have received my tickets and have been able to attend the concert.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Stoptheguff
    Options
    Personally I intensely dislike what ebay have done recently with their events listings in the UK. The expensive and inflexible Stubhub process will simply deter many people from listing on ebay at all. What was actually wrong in auction style listings for selling tickets? Ok if some people are silly enough to pay vastly inflated prices then so be it, the corollary to that is that many people used ebay at the last minute to sell an odd ticket say if someone was unable to go. Occasionally these went for much less than face value but the vendor is happy because they've at least got something back.

Stubhub might work in the USA but I suspect ebay have shot themselves in the foot in the UK. Mind you I doubt they'll care as the days when it was a fun auction house are long gone. It wouldn't be so bad if they actually paid some UK corporation tax but like Amazon the profits (which is all they're now interested in) are funnelled abroad.

Still some good will come of it. It might in the long run leave room for a UK based internet auction house to reappear (those with long memories might recall QXL!) and as other posters have hinted might cause sellers to consider options such as Gumtree and others.
  • Lacemaker
    Lacemaker Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I noticed in the thread that one poster asked about a "fair price ticket exchange".If you are on Twitter you could try #CannyGo which acts as a sort of "dating agency" to match up sellers of unwanted tickets and people who wish to buy them. They are very strict about it being for face value or less and they look into and expose touts when they can by checking buyers Timelines to see if they are genuine fans or Tweeting lots of tickets for sale .
  • ticketscamornot?
    Options
    i was the worlds worst panicker about stub hub but i tell you they are the best there is. i use ticketmaster but not now. i got tickets 10 pound cheaper ups delivered them in 2 days they are real. its a top company owned by ebay. i think you get paid after the person you sell tickets to gets to the concert. good luck
  • ticketscamornot?
    Options
    did you know that when a concert is on they sell 10 thousand tickets more than the venue holds so touts dont make the place emty. kings of leon 35 thousand tickets went on sale the venue holds 25 thousand. shocking
    reborndoll wrote: »
    nudge nudge wink wink, course you cant sell vouchers :) but for many years, people have done happily over at ebay, but people in families pass them on to relatives too and exchange them on peoples behalf and I have never been turned away or refused , had no hassle using vouchers, am sure tesco have got millions of customers who have converted their vouchers into "deals" and posted them to ebay buyers, no one reveals their voucher numbers to the buyers, and images would be masked .

I will miss tickets section at ebay and do agree they have some really ODD rules on what you can and cannot sell, one week its fine next you are in hot water, hard to keep up with the ebay changes and whats allowed in and whats kicked out.
  • Lindagreenacre
    Options
    That's true, am glad to see the back of all the touts that is one good thing. I am personally delighted that all those greedy ticket sellers will now be stumped!

I signed up for email alerts for when tickets come up for sale at a few venues near my home, and they email me a link a day in advance of general public offering pre sale seats, I have managed to get tickets without buying off a thief at ebay this way .

Today, went on the Royal Albert Hall website to buy 4 tickets forCliff's concert next year and was succesful. Later today, I see tickets on sale from Stub Hub for a huge mark up - several times the face value. Why is it still allowed for this company to make massive profits at the expense of fans. What is Cliff's take on this?
  • wubbles
    wubbles Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    Today, went on the Royal Albert Hall website to buy 4 tickets forCliff's concert next year and was succesful. Later today, I see tickets on sale from Stub Hub for a huge mark up - several times the face value. Why is it still allowed for this company to make massive profits at the expense of fans. What is Cliff's take on this?

Are you having a laugh?

Thats business, in the real world.

Cliffs take? He couldn't care less... all the tickets to his concerts have been sold, which is what he wanted - as for people selling the tickets over face value - he really couldn't care less, I'm certain of it.
  • sgh1976
    sgh1976 Posts: 424 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have used Stub Hub to sell once, it went fine. No complaints.

I have used Stub Hub to purchase once. I got the tickets slightly above the actual cost. Happy to pay as I was getting an end of aisle seat, which I need. Shame that when I got there the seats were smack bang in the middle of a row.

So I dropped Stub Hub an message after gig to see what their response would be. Confusing is one word, I had 3 people contact me over the space of an hour offering me a credit of 20%, 25% and 50%. I replied back to ask how the credit works and then got stuck for a day with them telling me they couldn't do anything further as my email address didn't match the one on my account (I was sending from and registered with a Gmail.com account but it sends as googlemail.com). Eventually they agreed it was the same account and after I accepted the 50% credit they replied back to say they had refunded 50% of the ticket costs back to my card. So they sorted it out eventually but boy it was a headache
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure