Applied for my first credit card, Capital One asked me to send copies of ID ROP

Options
*Kat*
*Kat* Posts: 1,827 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Does this mean I was accepted?

It said it was the final stage, and they had to do it to confirm my identity.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    What's ROP?

In answer to your question, I would probably be quite optimistic. In my experience every time I have been asked to provide documentation (quite a lot as I have moved around a bit) I have been accepted. To my mind asking for documents indicates that they are willing to accept so long as they are satisfied with what you send in. At worst it's certainly better than a flat refusal.
  • Maestro.
    Maestro. Posts: 1,518 Forumite
    Options
    They may not be able to electronically identify you because you are not present on the electoral roll. Is this the case?
    Oh, you wee bazza!
  • *Kat*
    *Kat* Posts: 1,827 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Lazyloki :) ROP = read on please.

and Maestro. - I am on the electoral roll, that's why I thought it was a bit strange :\

hmmm
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yeah I think you should be good. They have already looked at your application and decided to ask you for ID. That means that they must have a decision in principle already otherwise what would be the purpose of confirming your identity?
  • iAMaLONDONER
    iAMaLONDONER Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    Options
    *Kat* wrote: »
    Does this mean I was accepted?

It said it was the final stage, and they had to do it to confirm my identity.

I had a similar thing with Tesco- waiting for them to reply /send me my card!
  • newbee007
    newbee007 Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    When I applied for CapitalOne, decision has been made manually (didn't get answer straight away, have had to wait few days) but never been asked for any kind of ID. And to be honest, if I have, I wouldn't get a card.

There is no way I am gonna send my passport or any other ID card to anyone. No problem with bringing it to branch but would never risk loosing it by putting into envelope.
  • sharpy2010
    sharpy2010 Posts: 2,471 Forumite
    Options
    I think its unnecessary to tell people to read on, they either we're going to anyway or they weren't, and telling them to do so isn't going to make any difference as to whether they will or not...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    newbee007 wrote: »
    When I applied for CapitalOne, decision has been made manually (didn't get answer straight away, have had to wait few days) but never been asked for any kind of ID. And to be honest, if I have, I wouldn't get a card.

There is no way I am gonna send my passport or any other ID card to anyone. No problem with bringing it to branch but would never risk loosing it by putting into envelope.

They ask for copies, not originals. Often these have to be certified by an 'appropriate professional' (which often costs £10-25). Actually, although it may very well be illegal, I've often thought about faking the certification bit - I'm not convinced that they ever actually check it and the faking doesn't make the document any less genuine!

PS - Don't do this on my account!
  • bouncydog1
    bouncydog1 Posts: 2,696 Forumite
    Options
    Lazyloki wrote: »
    They ask for copies, not originals. Often these have to be certified by an 'appropriate professional' (which often costs £10-25). Actually, although it may very well be illegal, I've often thought about faking the certification bit - I'm not convinced that they ever actually check it and the faking doesn't make the document any less genuine!

PS - Don't do this on my account!

Certifiers can include insurance professionals, accountants, lawyers, etc. When we certify we include our professional qualification and membership number. I certainly don't charge albeit if you go to a law firm they might.

When I receive documents that have been certified we either check the organisation registers or ring the individual who certified to check! If it was found to be fake then would take further action appropriate to fraud investigation. £10 charge would be the least of the applicants worries!
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Maestro. wrote: »
    They may not be able to electronically identify you because you are not present on the electoral roll. Is this the case?

Unfortunately this is not almost the case. I myself have been applying to various banking products. They are still asking me to send the IDs. IN fact some of them is the product of a bank which I have been banking with for sometimes and having current and saving ac with them. Nationwide, I find is the most terrible one. Few are from Building society.

My best guess is that their account opening team does not communicate with other departments. I also think that it depends on the person working on the case he could be lazy person. Rather then doing his work the easiest way is asking.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure