Chest Infection - pre existing condition?

Options
hi guys,
just a quick one. my child has had a few chest infections over the last 2-3yrs, nothing serious & cleared with a weeks worth of antibiotics from local gp.
been on hols & in the first week, child had developed bronchitis (spanish docs said it was this). gave treatment for a few days, paid my excess etc....
back home now & thought id check the policy wording for the definition of pre existing - this states any respiratory condition.
now, to my understanding, a chest infection is viral so you cannot avoid catching it . there has never been any hospital admittance or continued treatment/check ups.
whats your thoughts guys?

Comments

• Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    Options
    Chest infections can be either viral or bacterial.
  • richje100
    richje100 Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Dunroamin wrote: »
    Chest infections can be either viral or bacterial.

Ok, so any idea if previous chest infections are classed as pre existing?
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,780 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 May 2013 at 11:05PM
    Options
    I would have thought this would refer to a formally diagnosed long term, continuous condition, that your child had at the outset of the holiday so no.

For example - if your child had asthma, and the hospital admissionwas due to asthma then you might have a problem unless you had declared the asthma on your proposal.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • richje100
    Options
    Valli wrote: »
    I would have thought this would refer to a formally diagnosed long term, continuous condition, that your child had at the outset of the holiday so no.

Thanks, so u think cos its a common illness and one that can't really be avoided (I'm thinking along the lines of colds etc...) it wouldn't be classed as pre existing and not one would need to be declared?
  • Valli
    Options
    I believe pre-existing would either apply to a long-term condition, diagnosed by a GP/hospital for which ongoing management strategies were in place (say diabetes; where medication may not be taken for instance) or something short term but diagnosed prior to travel.

While bronchitis can be serious and can develop as a complication of a chest infection it's not a long term illness, so not a pre-existing condition.

Like the common cold really; most people have them occasionally and get over them without medical intervention.

Just whack your claim in;)
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson

Thank you Honey Bear
  • richje100
    Options
    I was hoping someone would have same idea as me, thanks
  • Valli
    Options
    Bear in mind, OP, that you can be covered even if you have a pre-existing condition, as long as you declare the condition to the insurers prior to taking out the policy; subject to the T&Cs they will then apply to the policy, that is.

Thank you Honey Bear
  • richje100
    Options
    Ye he has no issues I was just concerned when they said they have requested medical record then I thought what if they say his chest infection 6mths ago now leaves him with a pre existing illness
  • Valli
    Options
    richje100 wrote: »
    Ye he has no issues I was just concerned when they said they have requested medical record then I thought what if they say his chest infection 6mths ago now leaves him with a pre existing illness

But between then and now the child has, I assume, been well.

They are possibly checking the child has never been diagnosed with asthma.

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Blackpool_Saver
    Blackpool_Saver Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Options
    I would declare it, then there is no possibility of claim problems. Also I would be requesting further tests to find out why a child is having so many chest infections/bronchitis, is there some underlying issue like asthma for example or lowered immunity?
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport