IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parked for less than 5 minutes, didn't see sign about parking.

Vigvag
Vigvag Posts: 2 Newbie
Parked for a couple of minutes. Have letter demanding £100 saying pay up or further action will be taken. Says it would have been £60 if I paid when I got the ticket on my screen. I didn't get a ticket on my screen.

Comments

• notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Vigvag wrote: »
    Parked for a couple of minutes on a piece of land that used to be a shop car park to use cash machine. Have letter demanding £100 from UKCPS saying pay up or further action will be taken. Says it would have been £60 if I paid when I got the ticket on my screen. I didn't get a ticket on my screen. Phoned the UKCPS Who said they took pic of me. They agreed to waive £100 if I paid £60 now. I told them I wd not do that. Any suggestions

Ignore, ignore, ignore, ignore, ignore, ignore, ignore, ignore, ignore, ignore, ignore, ignore, ignore, ignore, ignore, ignor, ignore, ignore, ignore.

In case that wasn't clear, just ignore it.
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • Stroma
    Stroma Posts: 7,971 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Yes ignore is an option, but if this is in England or Wales you may want to try challenging them then going to popla the independent appeals, we can help you formulate a very strong defence, along the lines of no or little grace period has been given for you to read the T&Cs of parking, and exit if you didn't agree with them.

If you are not in the above areas then indeed ignore is the best option. But on that if the vehicle is hired/leased/company then an appeal should be given to take this away from the RK of the vehicle.
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    :beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:
  • Vigvag
    Vigvag Posts: 2 Newbie
    Thanks. I didn't realise there was so much activity around this subject.
  • Stroma
    Stroma Posts: 7,971 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Things have got more complex around private parking, but we know most things on here , and can help you through the maze to ensure you don't get ripped off by scammers like these.
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    :beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 31 May 2013 at 10:01PM
    Vigvag wrote: »
    Thanks. I didn't realise there was so much activity around this subject.

Ignore, ignore, ignore, ignore, ignore, ignore, ignore, ignore, ignore, ignore, ignore, ignore, ignore, ignore, ignore, ignor, ignore, ignore, ignore.

DO NOT IGNORE IT!!!!!!!!!! That is old advice and not the consensus in 2013 now. :mad:

As you have the first letter, appeal but give them NO INFORMATION - and then get help with the second stage appeal (POPLA) as discussed here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4567901

I suggest you edit your first post about the driver because UKCPS frequent this forum and you should give NO INFORMATION even in the challenge.

See this pepipoo thread where I posted as SchoolRunMum to show a poster how to challenge without giving anything away. EASY:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=79507

Tell us when you get the response and whether or not you have a POPLA code (you can see from those links what to do if you do not get a code). When wording your POPLA appeal DO NOT go it alone as that is an important independent appeal stage to word in a very strong way - we can help again then.

Oh, and for the love of God, stop PHONING UP UKCPS, that is like replying to a phishing email!! This is who they are, see post 17 here!!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4433355

''If you want to write to them directly the real address is :
    The Romany caravan
    At back car park of the Blooming rose pub:
    Burton Row
    Holbeck
    Leeds.

As opposed to the fake mailbox they use.

Now I know you are going to think I am some kind of Idiot, so I suggest you watch this from 9 ish minutes onwards. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode..._2_Episode_14/
    You will see Court Sheriffs visiting the Nerve centre of UKCPS''

Then stop and ask yourself why you are taking them seriously and why on earth you thought it was a good idea to phone the scammers up.

HTH
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary

So, you're going to stand by the OP and help write their defence when they get a court claim are you?

If not, please don't write puerile and blatantly wrong "advice".

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • bargepole wrote: »
    So, you're going to stand by the OP and help write their defence when they get a court claim are you?

Ukcps is one company I wouldn't ignore.
    Proud to be a member of the Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Gang.:D:T
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    bargepole wrote: »

When did this advice change?

How can they take anybody to court when there has been no financial loss?!
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    edited 1 June 2013 at 2:36PM

thats what i thought....golden rule ignore..do not phone/email or write

why would you want to appeal its just more time wasted on these scammers
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 1 June 2013 at 2:55PM

gardner1 wrote: »
    thats what i thought....golden rule ignore..do not phone/email or write

why would you want to appeal its just more time wasted on these scammers

Remember first that POPLA only applies for incidents since 1st October 2012 in England/Wales and ONLY to PPCs who are non-banned AOS members. So that's currently any firm listed on the AOS members list as none are banned currently...

Our advice changed to 'you can ignore or appeal to POPLA' by Christmas 2012 - but at that time we didn't know what sort of wording would win at POPLA as it was too new to judge it properly as a service. This evolved from the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 in October. So we started to give people the choice and to try POPLA a bit.

But then the advice changed fully to 'DON'T IGNORE' around February when we saw Civil Enforcement and Parking Eye start to issue Small Claims against old cases (as far back as 2011) where the people had ignored the ticket. Small claims are still being tried now by these two. But of course it is defendable and a small claim attempted does not = a win nor even guarantee it will ever go to a hearing at all. It is the ultimate scary letter/squeaky bum time though!

Could happen with any PPC at any time if they see these two PPCs succeed with scaring more people into paying and/or getting some trophy 'court wins' to trumpet about on their websites. They don't have to prove 'loss' if they allege that the charge is 'contractually agreed for parking' and the motorist's defence is weak and the judge a pushover (can happen). And nor do they have to prove anything if a motorist ignores a small claim ( = an easy default win for the PPC). And after all a court fee is not dissimilar to the POPLA fee outlay for a PPC, and much more scary for a motorist...

But happily, around Feb/March is when we started seeing what sort of legal arguments win at POPLA (and we can win pretty much every time at the moment). And POPLA costs the PPCs £27 plus VAT plus a heck of a lot more in man hours and stationery and postage, only to see their charges cancelled when an OP sends a nice robust POPLA appeal. :)

Another reason to keep suggesting POPLA is that it's run by London Councils who will have to provide annual reports and such information will get seen by the authorities/press. That will expose the scam of some so called AOS members and will also show the % success (over 60% already even including people who unfortunately try an appeal without help). All bad publicity and exposure (financial and generally) for the PPCs and some good information about successful appeals will come out I hope.

Hence we no longer say 'ignore' unless it's in Scotland/NI, or a non AOS member or one currently banned by the DVLA (which can and does happen).

HTH
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure