Credit file gym default

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit File & Ratings
12 replies 3.7K views
Aj81Aj81 Forumite
6 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit File & Ratings
Hi,

I recently acquired a copy of my credit file from experian as I am planning to buy my first house. To my surprise I found out that it has a default placed by harlands finance of £600 for the gym membership that I had cancelled back in 2010. At the time I was 4 months in to my gym membership of 24 months contract and was moving home so I spoke to the gym staff who agreed to cancel the membership. I obviously moved home soon after that and then never received any communication regarding this membership. What should I do in this situation? I have never dealt with a matter like this before. Should I contact a lawyer? The default appears on the credit file under loan. Thanks
«1

Replies

  • UsetheFORCEUsetheFORCE Forumite
    682 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Did they actually 'lend' you the money? Do you still have the original agreement???
    I have numerous qualifications in Business and Finance, Accountancy, Health and Safety and am now studying Law.

    Don't rely on anything I write as it may be wrong!!!
  • Aj81Aj81 Forumite
    6 Posts
    Did they actually 'lend' you the money? Do you still have the original agreement???

    No it was just a regular gym membership, I do not have the original agreement. I can try contacting the gym to get a copy of the agreement?
  • edited 30 May 2013 at 4:58PM
    TixyTixy Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 May 2013 at 4:58PM
    If you only had a verbal conversation with a member of staff you will find it harder to get the default removed.
    You would first need to obtain a copy of the original agreement to see what it said about cancelling the agreement within the 24 month period. If you don't have a copy of this you can request it in writing from the gym (probably from the head office if its a chain gym).

    You could also write to harlands to state you have noted that they have entered a default on your credit file and require them to provide you with proof of the debt. You could use the prove it letter adapted to say you have seen this on your credit file - Letter when you know nothing about about the debt - AKA "Prove it" letter
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    82.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Aj81 wrote: »
    I obviously moved home soon after that and then never received any communication regarding this membership.

    No mail redirection notice?
    It's not whether you're right or wrong that's important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." — George Soros
  • Aj81Aj81 Forumite
    6 Posts
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    No mail redirection notice?

    I never redirected my mail
  • iAMaLONDONERiAMaLONDONER Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Tixy wrote: »
    If you only had a verbal conversation with a member of staff you will find it harder to get the default removed.
    You would first need to obtain a copy of the original agreement to see what it said about cancelling the agreement within the 24 month period. If you don't have a copy of this you can request it in writing from the gym (probably from the head office if its a chain gym).

    You could also write to harlands to state you have noted that they have entered a default on your credit file and require them to provide you with proof of the debt. You could use the prove it letter adapted to say you have seen this on your credit file - Letter when you know nothing about about the debt - AKA "Prove it" letter

    I can't believe it, gym memberships will show on your credit file?!

    Surely that's not credit...
    Though I guess car insurance can be if you pay monthly rather than up front
  • matttyematttye Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    My gym uses Harlands for the financial side of things too, but they don't report to my credit files. Seems like they only report when it suits them!

    Out of curiosity, what gym is it?
    What will your verse be?

    R.I.P Robin Williams.
  • Aj81Aj81 Forumite
    6 Posts
    matttye wrote: »
    My gym uses Harlands for the financial side of things too, but they don't report to my credit files. Seems like they only report when it suits them!

    Out of curiosity, what gym is it?

    It's Panther Gym in West Drayton (West London).
  • Aj81Aj81 Forumite
    6 Posts
    Tixy wrote: »
    If you only had a verbal conversation with a member of staff you will find it harder to get the default removed.
    You would first need to obtain a copy of the original agreement to see what it said about cancelling the agreement within the 24 month period. If you don't have a copy of this you can request it in writing from the gym (probably from the head office if its a chain gym).

    You could also write to harlands to state you have noted that they have entered a default on your credit file and require them to provide you with proof of the debt. You could use the prove it letter adapted to say you have seen this on your credit file -



    Thanks Tixy, no it is not a chain gym. It is a privetley owned local gym and I am quite sure they don't have anymore branches. Will the Harlands (debt collection agency) be able to provide me a copy of the contract? How can they register a gym membership defaulted under loan? Surely there must be a way to get it removed.

    The most of the 'prove it' template content does not apply to me. They are not really chasing me for debt, I found out about it after checking my credit file. What should I replace the office of fair trading bit with?
  • pauletruthpauletruth Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    because a lot of those contracts are funded by loans. bet if you look at the paperwork you signed it will be there.

    however send them cca letter.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals