Official MSE Economy 7 Guide discussion

Options

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Terry_D wrote: »
    Right guys, I'm about to start on a big slice of humble pie here!

I downloaded and checked my latest bill last night and it is on the Economy 7 tarriff. I'm not only embarrassed by my insistence I was correct but I'm also livid :mad: that I was not informed at the time I changed over - there was never any mention of this at the time.

So the big question is - if one supplier can live with an E7 meter on a non-E7 tarriff, why can't they all?

Apologies for my earlier incorrect posts. Now where's that pie......

Thanks for this.

I suspect the algorithm for 'The Computer' is not written to cope with aggregating meter readings.

Did you ask about the issue? or just assume they would carry on like E-on?

Although I appreciate the principle, the good news is that with that particular tariff you are unlikely to have lost very much as the 'break-even' point is lowish. Also being over summer you have had the extra hour in the morning on off-peak electricity.

It will be easy to work out how much you have lost and perhaps SP will make a goodwill payment; or change meter for free if you don't want E7.
  • jazzybear
    Options
    Hi,can anyone tell me please if I am better off on E7 not sure about it I have my metre readings hear
    Night 633kwh used 6.007p
    Day 1745 kwh used 12.283p
    25.020standing charge day
    Can anyone help please I'm blind and to try to work out mind boggling thank you
  • Terry_D
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    T

Did you ask about the issue? or just assume they would carry on like E-on?
    No, like I said I just made the assumption :o.

What was that old saying "assume makes an !!! out of u and me"

Oops, it thinks I'm swearing !!! means a four legged animal beginning with A and ending with two Ss.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    jazzybear wrote: »
    Hi,can anyone tell me please if I am better off on E7 not sure about it I have my metre readings hear
    Night 633kwh used 6.007p

We need to know more information.

What company/tariff do you have, and in what area?

What is your annual consumption in kWh?

The figures you have given show 26.6% off-peak usage. That would put you better off with some tariffs - not with others.
  • Lisbet
    Options
    useful web site to explain Economy 10, is available on Google, but I'm not allowed to give it's address! It starts with 'electricityprices' and has org.uk in the address.

The more of us that us E10 or ask the power companies to supply it should mean a reversal of the slow decline of the excellent E10 tariff.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Lisbet wrote: »
    The cheapest way to save money with Economy 7 is to switch to Economy 10. The "off peak" hours are 0001- 0500, 1300 -1600, 2000 -2200. This means even if you are at work all day you come home to a warm house. You can do your washing/tumble drying in the evening, and if you had a bath in the morning the hot water tank has reheated in the afternoon! We have six storage heaters. The peak rate is about 20p p KWH and off peak about 6ppKWH. We have saved over 2000 units of peak power by switching to the more advantageous and useful time bands of E10, therefore saving a lot of money. We did the sums, it's a no brainer. Not all electric companies offer E10 though. We are with EDF.
    Night 633kwh used 6.007p
    Lisbet wrote: »
    useful web site to explain Economy 10, is available on Google, but I'm not allowed to give it's address! It starts with 'electricityprices' and has org.uk in the address.

The more of us that us E10 or ask the power companies to supply it should mean a reversal of the slow decline of the excellent E10 tariff.
    It's rubbish and you have even given your prices as 20p/kWh. That is a terrible rate. You would be better off on a standard online managed tariff paid by direct debit using electricity whenever you want with no restrictions. The article mentions average standard rates as 13p/kWh. To save anything (a penny per year) you would have to have a minimum of 60% usage during the off peak hours. To save anything worthwhile considering the hassle factor you would have to have 80% usage on the off peak hours. It's only good if you have a high powered ground source heat pump such as 15kW 3 phase heat pump heating underfloor heating as a background heat and have an alternative heating source outside of the off peak hours such as gas or solid fuel. Moving 80% of your usage to those limited hours is impossible otherwise.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • WinnyWoo
    Options
    djm2013 wrote: »

One other thing - the amount of problems that happen due to people entering the wrong reading for the wrong time of day is scary - this could be consumers, or even meter readers. I'd urge to check your meter and make sure that your being billed correctly - take a reading, boil the kettle, and take a reading again to see which reading has changed - that's your day (if you do this in the 'day' time) ... If the readings are 'twisted' then this could mean that your underpaying - and eventually it WILL be corrected and you'll get a massive bill!

This actually happened to me a few years ago. On changing supplier, they accidentally recorded the opening readings from our E7 meter the wrong way round! It took a few months for me to notice, and I decided not to mention it. I took the view that the worst that could happen was that I would have to repay what I should have been charged [after all the meter readings still existed]. Even after another reading by a meter reader -this still continued. Eventually someone was smart enough to notice, but all that happened was that they put the readings right, and we never received a large bill!

Now with OVO and even though night time usage is less than 20%, I have stuck with E7. At OVOs rates the difference seems minimal. We pay 12.7ppu day / 6.7 night. Their standard day time rate is 11.3p, so only 1.4p less.
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    I suspect the algorithm for 'The Computer' is not written to cope with aggregating meter readings..

- somewhere on here the rep precisely gave that as their reason for not aggregating the two numbers
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • jazzybear
    Options
    We need to know more information.

What company/tariff do you have, and in what area?

What is your annual consumption in kWh?

The figures you have given show 26.6% off-peak usage. That would put you better off with some tariffs - not with others.

Hello,sorry for being so long but this is w hat I've found
    Scottish Power fresh start East Midlands
    21084 kwh Gas
    9898kwh Elec
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello,sorry for being so long but this is w hat I've found
    Scottish Power fresh start East Midlands
    21084 kwh Gas
    9898kwh Elec
    Your electricity usage is very high at 3 times the national average...is there any reason for that? 27kWh per day is very high.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback