We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Just killed off lawn, do i need to remove it?

BaileyB
BaileyB Posts: 2,281 Forumite
I used strong weedkiller from ebay and now my grass it brown and totally dead. Now could i just dig this over, or would i still need to remove the dead grass?

Any advice would be great.

Comments

• TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It should be fine to just dig it over.

Depends what you are planning to do with the ground afterwards ?
  • antenna
    antenna Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I also bought some "Russian" weed killer that only kills weeds not grass to use on lawns from ebay.
    So i would really like to know the name of the weed killer you bought as i have not used it yet.
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • Meadows
    Meadows Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit! Xmas Saver!
    ? What do you plan to do with the area? If you are pebbling then just level, put down a membrane and cover with pebbles etc.

If you are planning to grow again what are the weed killer instructions for new growth? It could be that even removing the dead the soil will still contain weed killer and inhibit any new lawn!
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
  • antenna
    antenna Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    OMG.....so it wasn't an accident then,i did not realise you wanted it totaly killed..........thanks for your reply.
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • Leif
    Leif Posts: 3,727 Forumite
    That's glyphosate, you will be fine to just dig over the soil. Add loads of sharp sand if it is a bit heavy. Glyphosate breaks down fairly quickly. The datasheet with the container will give full details.
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
  • BaileyB
    BaileyB Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    My lawn has been dead for about 4 weeks now and when you brush it with your fingers turns to dust and see the soil underneath. I don't have the bottle at hand so cannot see the instructions at the moment.

I am looking at adding a load of top soil and sharp sand to it with a new lawn on top of it.
  • sobie
    sobie Posts: 356 Forumite
    Leif wrote: »
    That's glyphosate, you will be fine to just dig over the soil. Add loads of sharp sand if it is a bit heavy. Glyphosate breaks down fairly quickly. The datasheet with the container will give full details.

I agree, the main benefit of using glyphosate is that once it hit's the soil it becomes quickly inactive allowing replanting.
  • demystified
    demystified Posts: 263 Forumite
    BaileyB wrote: »
    My lawn has been dead for about 4 weeks now and when you brush it with your fingers turns to dust and see the soil underneath. I don't have the bottle at hand so cannot see the instructions at the moment.

I am looking at adding a load of top soil and sharp sand to it with a new lawn on top of it.

be better if you turned it over first or you'll likely get a hard layer where the old ground surface was, could be a problem if you have drainage issues.

Rotovate it or fork it over if you fancy some exercise.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Why did you need to kill it if you just wanted it removed?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure