Travellers Cheques, right or wrong?

Options
leaat23
leaat23 Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 27 May 2013 at 9:12PM in Flights, currency & car hire
I went out an purchased sterling travellers cheques a couple of weeks ago for my holiday in Corfu in a couple of weeks time, I am now hearing stories about banks/exchanges refusing them due to problems with the Greek banking system, is this true?? Marks and Spencers, Thomas Cook have stopped selling travellers cheques for use in Greece.:(

I'm trying to get in touch with a friend in Corfu, but so far no joy.

I'm thinking of going to the Post Office and changing the cheques for a pre-pay travellers card, is this a wise move?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Travellers cheques are pretty much obsolete anywhere in the world TBH.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Traveller's cheques are an extremely costly form of international payment from a bygone age. Unless you want to unnecessarily pay fees and margins for changing or spending money, forget them and move on to a more modern and cost effective method of payment. The Halifax Clarity Card is a good place to start.
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Fees free TCs (available from Lloyds TSB amongst others) can be cost effective and TCs in general are still widely used in many places.

I can't help with Corfu (so sorry for going off topic) but wanted to point out that the above two statements are incorrect.
  • catokelly
    catokelly Posts: 354 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Traveller Cheques are very difficult to cash in the Euro-zone these days (not just in Greece).

If you already have the Sterling TCs you should not change them at the Post office as I am quite sure they will charge a commission for doing so, you should deposit them in your UK bank account, the bank should treat it as cash and not charge you any extra fee they will usually treat it as a normal cheque deposit.

The Post office prepaid card wont be much good, as their rates/fees are rubbish! Perhaps Travelex cash passport globe in GBP (it used to get good reiviews on here), or just bring Euro cash.
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    catokelly wrote: »
    Perhaps Travelex cash passport globe in GBP (it used to get good reiviews on here), or just bring Euro cash.

The TravelEx Cash Passport Globe now has higher fees, so we don't recommend it much any more. The Kalixa card is a decent choice, and I think there's another reasonably good option but I can't remember it offhand - have a look at recent posts on the subject.

The best way is to get one of the fee-free debit or credit cards. If you are in or near London, the Metro Bank card can be obtained immediately.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • pramodnegi
    Options
    travel Cheques is right option
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    fifeken wrote: »
    Fees free TCs (available from Lloyds TSB amongst others) can be cost effective and TCs in general are still widely used in many places.

I can't help with Corfu (so sorry for going off topic) but wanted to point out that the above two statements are incorrect.

That only really applies in countries where all or most ATMs charge you for cash withdrawals, and where you can get a good exchange rate for Sterling TCs - the only example I can think of is Thailand. For the vast majority of countries what the earlier posters said is true.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    pramodnegi wrote: »
    travel Cheques is right option

Why do you say that?
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    benjus wrote: »
    That only really applies in countries where all or most ATMs charge you for cash withdrawals, and where you can get a good exchange rate for Sterling TCs - the only example I can think of is Thailand. For the vast majority of countries what the earlier posters said is true.

I wouldn't even bother with TCs in Thailand. The machines there may charge but as long you take out a large amount, say £200, each time then the fee is relatively small. Using ATMs is a lot more convenient than having to find a bank that is open.
  • Heliflyguy
    Heliflyguy Posts: 932 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I used TC's in Thailand they could be exchanged at the booths no need for a bank, the cost was 33 THB each so for £200 in TC'c it would be cheaper than £200 from an ATM if exchanging 2 £100 TC's which I believe is the highest denomination.

IMO they are a lot simpler to use, have a slightly higher exchange rate to cash and have better security than a card for those who like such features.

Personally I take cash.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport