Running costs Dyson hot/cold fan

Options
123457»

Comments

• Trentenders
    Trentenders Posts: 1,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If a Dyson burns down your house, it's still not 100% efficient at heating it :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Brussels_Sprout
    Options
    I bought a Dyson Hot and Cool for a flat that only has low energy wall convector heaters and I needed some boost heat. I wanted to use it in conjunction with the MiHome app so I could preheat the flat when I was going home. But I found after buying that you can't do that with the Dyson because you can't switch it on without using the remote control, so an app controlled socket doesn't work. Pah! So I contacted Dyson to see if there was any way I could override the settings and they said no, but I could buy a Dyson Pure Hot+Cool Link Smart Air Purifier which comes with an app for £499. Err no thanks. So I bought a fan heater from Argos for £12 which I can control remotely with the MiHome app and it's perfect for preheating the space.

Apart from that, I still have the Hot and Cool fan which I would say is efficient at directing the air but the efficiency of the thermostat is questionable because these days temperature can be controlled within tenths of a degree. The swings of the Dyson's +/- 1.5 degrees really isn't good enough especially as you can't combine it with a smart room stat.
  • Brussels_Sprout
    Options
    And by the way, when the Dyson Hot and Cool is switched off by its thermostat it still continues to consume 3 watts of power (as evidenced by the MiHome energy monitor).
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    And by the way, when the Dyson Hot and Cool is switched off by its thermostat it still continues to consume 3 watts of power (as evidenced by the MiHome energy monitor).
    Hi

If it's a clamp based whole house monitor it's unlikely that power factor is taken into consideration ... even if it's one of the single device in-line plug-in monitors, you'll need to take power factor into consideration .... according to our monitor (owl) the microwave draws a considerable amount of power when on standby, however, having a power factor of ~0.05 (checked), it's around 20 times overstated !!

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Brussels_Sprout
    Options
    "If it's a clamp based whole house monitor ... "

It isn't. The Dyson continues to blow a very small volume of air when switched off by its thermostat, the energy monitor shows it, but put your hand/face in front, you can feel it. I assume it's to provide air flow for the thermostat.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure