Running costs Dyson hot/cold fan

Options

Comments

• evildude
    Options
    I'd rather pay £10 for an appliance to burn down my house than £400 (or whatever a Dyson costs) :D

Thankfully when my DC01 vacuum cleaner burst into flames it didn't burn down my house.

I do admit their service is very good though...

So by your logic, if your house was one of the 3 burnt down by an award winning product of an international market leader, you think that would be more hassle for you than if a £10 nondescript chinese manufacturer did the same. Devices that literally warn of the fire hazard on the front of them.....

Anyone who did invest in one, has already gotten access to a free upgrade to boot.
    I find your logic flawed, and you clearly want a reply :beer:
  • reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Nonsense. Electrical elements emit light, have you never looked inside an electric oven?

Clearly not as some of the energy is emitted as light.

No, your statement violates the law because you are saying that something that emits light is somehow also emitting all the energy it consumes as heat.

Any light that's emitted is ultimately absorbed by surfaces that it hits and is converted into heat .. normally a small effect but that's what happens . Ever experienced being warmed up by sunshine?
  • northwalesd
    northwalesd Posts: 1,168 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    evildude wrote: »
    So by your logic, if your house was one of the 3 burnt down by an award winning product of an international market leader, you think that would be more hassle for you than if a £10 nondescript chinese manufacturer did the same. Devices that literally warn of the fire hazard on the front of them.....

Anyone who did invest in one, has already gotten access to a free upgrade to boot.
    I find your logic flawed, and you clearly want a reply :beer:

Not at all, the only flawed logic is yours by stating that £10 heaters can go pop and then going on to quote reports of a £400 device doing the same thing.
  • mcmiix
    mcmiix Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    Yes that what I am saying!

I tend to agree with Einstein in these matters but clearly, according to you, his theory is nonsense.

Put a 1kW searchlight in a room(so no light can escape) and the room will get equally as warm as using a 1kW device of any kind - including a heater. If that was not the case what happens to the energy?

No point in continuing this discussion; you 'know' you are correct!

Edit.
    DragonQ has deleted his post.

You said "Your statement that energy will be 'lost' as light or noise etc contradicts the First Law of Thermodynamics that energy cannot be created or destroyed." This doesn't make any sense as lost is not the same as destroyed.

You also said "That is not correct; all electrical heaters are 100% efficient at converting the energy they use into heat". This statement in fact breaks the 2nd law of thermodynamics which states "It is not possible to convert one form of energy to another with 100% efficiency"

You're posts indicate you are strutting around with an air of righteousness but you really a bit of spouting fool.
  • Great_Orme
    Options
    Cheap ones dont seem to last very long and develop rattles and buzzes. The Dyson is aesthetically pleasing and more effective at heating as well as being whisper quiet. Other features like remote control, tilting, swivelling, timer and fan strength make it a more sophisticated and pleasing device to use and own. Expensive yes, but initial impression compared to old £50 blow heater is it is much more effective, quieter, nicer to look at and a pleasure to use. Time will tell.
  • MobileSaver
    Options
    Great_Orme wrote: »
    it is much more effective, quieter, nicer to look at and a pleasure to use. Time will tell.

Quieter?!? My AM05 Hot and Cool is the noisiest fan I have ever owned!

The Dyson fan has a number of positives but quietness is not one of them and it is simply not practical to use if you are trying to watch TV.
    Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
  • I have the AM09 and I absolutely love it.

It heats the rooms far better than any other heaters I have had over the years and is not noisy, yes you can hear it but not over the telly or other normal household sounds and it looks good not taking up as much floor space.

The biggest reason for buying one personal to me is I have dogs and in the unlikely event they knock it over it will cut straight out.
  • A_Flock_Of_Sheep
    A_Flock_Of_Sheep Posts: 5,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    edited 11 September 2017 at 1:49PM
    Options
    I would like to add that I have this AM09 fan from John Lewis. Basically because I had £200 of JL credit on a gift card as a free gift.

I don't know if I would pay the full price for this but I was prepared to add the difference.

It is a really nice appliance and worked well in the hot spell we had in June and the rest of the summer. It was also a bit chilly in the bedroom where it is located one night last week - think it was raining out and to me it always seems chillier then. It heated up lovely and only needed to be on for about 10 minutes before the bedroom was comfortably warmed.

I just picked up the remote and pressed on and hot and away it went.

I used to have a normal type of desk fan (cheap one from a well known catalogue store) for the summer and would collect it away for storage when the autumn came. That one seemed to attract dust and the front grille kept falling off in the end where the plastic clips broke. I used food bag ties to hold it on. The white metal mesh also started to go rusty.

With this Dyson fan I have no intention of putting it away in a cupboard as it serves a heat as well as cool function and it is just too lovely to hide away.

I have even installed a corner shelf in my lounge to put it on so I can use it to heat and cool the lounge and it fits well being tall and slim. Who knows I might even get a second one for the lounge - highly likely if I get a JL voucher again of significant value.

In conclusion: A useful dual heat and cool appliance with a nice range of features and remote control. Also aesthetially pleasing. - Remember folks with money - YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU WHEN YOU DIE!
  • A_Flock_Of_Sheep
    Options
    Incidentally I also have the Dyson cordless vaccuum cleaner. Yes again expensive but I think it is worth the money. I must confess to not possibly purchasing one if I had not tried the one that my Neice got - where I was then suitably impressed.
  • mrchewie
    Options
    took delivery of my pure hot+cold yesterday and it was worth every penny.
    I've got not gas, so rely on electric panel heaters, which do warm the rooms.... eventually.
    Bought the Dyson to provide instant heat to help circulate the air around my flat a bit better.
    Having the purifier is a bonus, and I have the option to control the thing through my phone.

plus helped that I got 50% off too. :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport