We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Boot Problem-please help
Mortgage_&_debt_free
Posts: 316 Forumite
in Techie Stuff
Hi all
Since yesterday when I turn my PC on it doesn't boot and go into normal windows mode.
A black screen appears & there's techie info on the main part of the screen & at the bottom it asks me what I want to do - F1 to continue, F9 to go into boot configuration (I think), etc.
The other things I notice is that, even when I press F9 and change it, when I reboot the computer the clock shows 31 Dec 2003. Also the PC seems slower than normal.
Can anyone offer any suggestions what's happened and how it can be resolved?
Thanks
Since yesterday when I turn my PC on it doesn't boot and go into normal windows mode.
A black screen appears & there's techie info on the main part of the screen & at the bottom it asks me what I want to do - F1 to continue, F9 to go into boot configuration (I think), etc.
The other things I notice is that, even when I press F9 and change it, when I reboot the computer the clock shows 31 Dec 2003. Also the PC seems slower than normal.
Can anyone offer any suggestions what's happened and how it can be resolved?
Thanks
0
Comments
-
How old is the computer as first thing that springs to mind is the cmos battery has failed on the motherboard. What if anything can you remember was altered/changed prior to this fault occurring. You could try a system restore to a point in time prior to the fault occurring (remember to carry out a restore point prior to carrying this out and backup work you may loose from the restore point you go to)0
-
Thanks, but I'm afraid you lost me re system restore - can you explain what I need to do?
In answer to your questions it's a few years old but nothing I can think of has changed or been altered recently.
Thanks for your help0 -
What do you mean by a few years old as the restore won't make any difference if its the battery that's failed.
As for the restore your computer has a full explanation just look at START> HELP and SUPPORT>type RESTORE as the search criteria and all will be revealed. I'm making an assumption that you are using Microsoft and XP operating system. If your using another (WIN 98, Millennium or Apple then that's a different matter)0 -
What do you mean by a few years old as the restore won't make any difference if its the battery that's failed.
As for the restore your computer has a full explanation just look at START> HELP and SUPPORT>type RESTORE as the search criteria and all will be revealed. I'm making an assumption that you are using Microsoft and XP operating system. If your using another (WIN 98, Millennium or Apple then that's a different matter)
Thanks for your post.
Yes, it's XP. I'll have a look at the restore aspect-thanks again.0 -
Did you try pressing F1 to continue? Did it succeed in booting? Have you changed any hardware recently?
Martin0 -
Did you try pressing F1 to continue? Did it succeed in booting? Have you changed any hardware recently?
Martin
Yes, it did continue and booted, but the clock was back at 31/12/03 and I've just noticed that my AVG Anti-Virus is displaying out of date, although I ran it this morning.0 -
That does sound like you need a new BIOS battery like malamute suggests, as opposed to being a specific software problem. I suspect that your BIOS has reset it's settings, so the date went back to the default, and probably it is warning you that some hardware setting from the default setting is not matching what it is detecting, e.g. it detects a second hard drive, but you have not enabled it in the BIOS.
Martin0 -
That does sound like you need a new BIOS battery like malamute suggests, as opposed to being a specific software problem. I suspect that your BIOS has reset it's settings, so the date went back to the default, and probably it is warning you that some hardware setting from the default setting is not matching what it is detecting, e.g. it detects a second hard drive, but you have not enabled it in the BIOS.
Martin
Is this something I can do myself or is it a shop job, and where would I buy such a thing?
Also, is there a way of checking it is that before purchasing a battery?
Thanks0 -
A reset clock is almost certainly due to the CMOS battery. Change that and everything else should be ok (or at least can change it back without it ending up back the same way again)."She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
Moss0 -
The battery should be cheap - they're usually CR2032 batteries that you can get from a shop that sells batteries for watches or cameras.
Just found them for 92p on Screwfix.com:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=171480
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards