We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Real-life MMD: Should I keep schtum about car problems when I flog it?

Options
Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
edited 21 May 2013 at 4:20PM in MoneySaving polls
Money Moral Dilemma: Should I keep schtum about car problems when I flog it?

I'm planning to sell my car, so just had it MOT'd by a mechanic I know well. It passed with no repair costs, but the mechanic told me it was close to getting an advisory note - at some point soon, £1,000 of work will need to be done. A friend is keen to buy the car and has offered the market value of £3,000. Should I tell him the mechanic's feedback, even though a different one might not have mentioned the advisory note?

Click reply to have your say

Note: Please remember that these are real-life Money Moral Dilemmas and while we want you to have your say, please remember to be nice when you respond.

Previous MMDs:

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• gloriouslyhappy
    Options
    Yes, you definitely should tell him the mechanic's feedback,and let him decide if he wants to proceed with the purchase. Imagine for a moment your positions are reversed, how would you feel if you bought his car in good faith, it broke down expensively a short time later, then you discovered he knew that the breakdown was a very good possibility?

Beware 'friends' like these..!
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Options
    If selling to a friend, then yes I would tell them. I actually sold a car to my neighbour after pointing out all the small defects with it. Never sold a car that way in my life before.

However, if it was a stranger, I'd be tempted to say, buyer beware.
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • Cookiepops
    Cookiepops Posts: 377 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wow, how does the saying go? "with friends like you....."
    :heart2: Cookiepops :heart2:
  • macaroni
    macaroni Posts: 448 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    as it was "close to getting an advisory note", ie one wasn't issued, Id keep schtum. If had got an advisory that would be a different matter...
    :hello:
  • Banacek
    Banacek Posts: 94 Forumite
    Options
    If you want to keep him as a friend tell him all!
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd get a second option re the "advisories" first. Based on my experiences, chances are you won't need them, especially if they come from a mechanic working at a chain garage.

Take it to a small independent garage that someone else has reccomended and ask them to have a look at it.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,631 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Shoulda woulda coulda doesn't matter.

You have been advised of future problems, you do know, you should tell.
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Definitely! Can't believe this is a quandary for you - how do you define friendship?
  • ih8stress
    ih8stress Posts: 1,933 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'd be more concerned about the risk of him having an accident if the imminent work needed is not discovered and leads to major problems. Would you really want that on your conscience?

Remember too this is a friend of yours - though I would still be upfront who-ever I sold it to.
  • Talent
    Talent Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    Don't sell anything to a friend that you wouldn't want your friend to sell to you. Simples. Dealer PX or auction for you, my lad!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport