🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Missed Payment on Credit Card

Options
Morning,

Just wondering some advice.

My girlfriend paid off her credit card but the balance is still 30p (I'm guessing this was interest charges).

However she forgot about it and hasn't paid it off in the last 3 months.

Will this go down as 3 black marks and will it affect our ability to get a mortgage in say 6 months?

She also missed 3 payments probably about 3 years ago.

Any advice welcome.

Comments

• lynz68
    lynz68 Posts: 323 Forumite
    Options
    It would seem a bit harsh for 30p but I would put nothing past our banks. The missed payments from 3 years ago will certainly show as defaults on your partners credit file and will probably effect mortgage application in some way.

Your partner needs to check her credit file that really is the only way you will find out.
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Options
    Some would be harsh and say that 6 missed payments over 3 years jolly well ought to count as some people here will tell you that in 20 years they haven't missed a single payment however small. What can seem like trivial forgetfulness now indicates an attitude correlated with problems/risk in the future. That's the case for the prosecution!

Agree - she'll just have to get the credit reports. A default is different from a late payment. Late payments soon fade in importance. It should just be showing the account in arrears, not a default. They might not even bother for 30p.

If she got late charges (especially if £12 x 3) I would dispute as being disproportionate for a 30p charge. But I don't see that there would be grounds for disputing reported lateness though, even for 30p.
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    Idiotic to ignore those statements.
  • wstock86
    wstock86 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    opinions4u wrote: »
    Idiotic to ignore those statements.

Another helpful comment :money:
  • corkyefes
    corkyefes Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Excuse me opinions4u, I came on for advice, not an "idiotic" comments like that! Sounds like your a complete pr*ck!

To get your facts right she's actually never received any correspondence about the 30p therefore only found out about it today when checking her account!

Thanks for replies from others. Guess its best to get a credit check!
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    edited 18 May 2013 at 2:46PM
    Options
    corkyefes wrote: »
    To get your facts right she's actually never received any correspondence about the 30p therefore only found out about it today when checking her account!

As it was for 3 months, did she receive statements (or were they were made available online)?
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If she 'knew' the credit card had been paid off, and was under the impression that it was a nil balance, Does it not question why she was checking her account then.

Just asking.........not judging

the 30p would have been trailing interest. The interest in between generating the statement and the payment being made.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can she look at the balance now? Have any late payment charges been added - if the answer is yes then they will be reported to the CRA's as well - if not she has been lucky - now pay it off pronto.
  • corkyefes
    corkyefes Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've spoke to the bank. All sorted now, they never sent correspondence as it was balance and no minimum payment required.

No black mark has gone against her.

Thank you for all the sensible answers
  • lynz68
    lynz68 Posts: 323 Forumite
    Options
    That's great but still get her to check her credit file to find out exactly when the other missed payments which you thought were 3 yrs ago actually were missed particularly before you apply for a mortgage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 3 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport