Family of 4 - Water Meter?

Marker_2
Marker_2 Posts: 3,260 Forumite
Would appreciate some advice, especially from families on switching to a water meter. I've worked out that on average I pay £37pm through direct debit currently. Would it be money saving to move to a meter.

House of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids) although my husband is away most of the time, and only home every other weekend atm.

Usage for all
Shower - min x1 per day
Bath - Every other day for the kids (they usually share)
Washing machine - x3 per week
Washing up x2 per day
Toilet flushing - Usually evening and weekends :)
99.9% of my posts include sarcasm!
Touch my bum :money:
Tesco - £1000 , Carpet - £20, Barclaycard - £50, HSBC - £50 + Car - £1700
SAVED =£0
Debts - £2850

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Firstly it depends where you live as the water/sewerage charges vary a huge amount across England and Wales. The South West charges are over 3 times as much as some other districts.

A family of 4 will use, on average, 200 cubic metres a year. You can look the cost up on your supplying company's website(don't forget the standing charges.)

Is your £37 monthly DD for 12 months in the year? With some companies it is 9 or 10 payments.

If you get a meter and find it more expensive you can revert to your current charges, as long as you do so within 12 months.

However unless you are really economical with water, I suspect that metering wouldn't be cheaper in many areas.
  • Marker_2
    Thanks for the reply. I am in S Wales.

My bill is over 9 months (not got the bill in from of me but its approx £52pm) so over a yearly basis per month it's £37.

I think I am economical with water. Generally I'm not home during the days (although I am currently on maternity leave).
    SAVED =£0
    Debts - £2850
  • couponqueen123
    couponqueen123 Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    i live in south wales too and about 3 years ago changed to a water meter and i have saved year on year i pay them £31.50 every month and end up with between £60-100 back each year

i use a water but for garden kids to play and wash car with water (not the pool i use hose in summer for that )

shower daily 1x adult
    bath kids every other day and i bath kids share i have my own bath pipping hot lol

i wash up 3x day if not more

machine on daily some times twich (if its a nice day defo 2 times been know for 3-4 times) i have big line and 4 clothes horses lol
    hope this helps

before long all houses will have them any way ask the water board the meter guy was moaning his work load is increasing as they change ppl and all new house are having them suposidly
  • Marker_2
    Thanks for the, really helpful. After talking to friends I think I'm going to give it a go. Will ring water company tomorrow :)
    SAVED =£0
    Debts - £2850
  • Cardew

before long all houses will have them any way ask the water board the meter guy was moaning his work load is increasing as they change ppl and all new house are having them suposidly

All new properties built since April 1990 have a meter fitted.

Water companies can insist on a meter being fitted on change of occupant - although not all companies enforce that provision.
  • NXV839
    NXV839 Posts: 66 Forumite
    Families tend to do better when they are on a water meter. It's free to have one fitted in England, but I'm not sure about Wales. However, if it doesn't save you money, you can generally switch back for free within 12 months of having it fitted.

You can read more about it here:

http://www.ofwat.gov.uk/consumerissues/chargesbills/unmetered/rv
  • Cardew
    NXV839 wrote: »
    Families tend to do better when they are on a water meter.

Why would families 'tend to do better' on a meter?

Water consumption increases - and hence costs - with more people in the property.

Single people and couples are far more likely to gain with a meter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure