Old Style Christmas Preparations for Christmas 2013

edited 10 September 2013 at 8:57PM in Old Style MoneySaving
952 replies 180.5K views

Replies

• whitesatinwhitesatin Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Happy to think about Christmas even though we haven't had a summer yet. In the throws of a big makeover and already thinking where the tree will go in the new set up. Still haven't decided though.

Christmas will be spread over the month of December for me as the actual day will be a bit different this year as my daughter and my grandchildren will be in France for a few days. But, that still leaves lots of nice, cosy story reading sessions, dvds, baking, decorating and entertaining to look forward to (and plan). Pressie buying too so yes, why not? I just won't tell my husband who really wouldn't undersand.
  • daisieggdaisiegg Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Ooh exciting :) we got married in April and I am feeling lost after the wedding so I think I need another project! Last Christmas was great but a bit overshadowed by the looming wedding.

However, we picked up all our wrapping paper in the sales after Christmas and a lot of presents. I got lots of things for our nephew who will be nearly 2 by then, and my husband got all the presents for his family (they just tend to exchange generic gift sets. A bit rubbish I know but that is what they do!)

Also have got a lot of stuff for hubby's daughter that we were going to give her for her birthday this summer, but now she wants tickets to a music festival for her birthday so we will keep all those presents for Christmas :) so actually in terms of shopping there won't be a huge amount!
  • lobbyluddlobbyludd Forumite
    1.5K posts
    thank you!

reminded me that because spring is so late..... this weekend I need to take cuttings of lavenders in the garden to root, by christmas they will be thriving little plants to put in painted pots and give as presents (I'll get pots in the wilko sale at end of summer) - very cheap but well recieved last time I did it 5? years ago.

I might try jasmines too.

I hve a damson tree this year :) plus blackberries so damson and blackberry gin to accompany and I'll have to make gift bags throughout the year as I don't want to use wrapping paper if possible. These are generic gifts that accompany what they want

other than that it's saving towards vouchers/whatever they want in the run up.
    :AA/give up smoking (done) :)
  • Chris25Chris25 Forumite
    12.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As sad as it makes me sound, I got some great bargains this week to add to my present stash! A discount shop in Harrogate is closing down and they were selling off Floriography gift sets for £3.50 - rrp £22.50 and £19.99 on Amazon. I came out with 7 boxes!!!! It's gorgeous stuff and at that price I even treat myself to a box!

wow, TA, that's great!

Well done for all the links Zippy :)

I have bought some pressies & noted in my diary, for the start of November, where there are stashed & where I've put the wrapping paper/cards.

I've also listed in the diary the dates of the carol services, a concert & Christmas activities I might like to go to. It gets so busy, I find I can miss events, but hopefully, for this year, I'll be sorted.
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to The Lavender Fields in Hitchin in July with a view to picking some and making things with some of it. Any ideas for Christmas gifts using cut lavender much appreciated thanks. I usually make hearts from various fabrics but want to expand.
  • Chris25Chris25 Forumite
    12.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    whitesatin wrote: »
    I'm going to The Lavender Fields in Hitchin in July with a view to picking some and making things with some of it. Any ideas for Christmas gifts using cut lavender much appreciated thanks. I usually make hearts from various fabrics but want to expand.

Christmas stocking or tree shapes? Or fabric covered coathangers with a little lavender filled shape attached to hook or hot water bottle covers/wheat bags with lavender inserts?
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chris25 wrote: »
    Christmas stocking or tree shapes?

Nice ideas, thanks. Can you think of something to mix with the lavender to make it more seasonal? Lavender is always appreciated mind you. My little 4 year old grandaughter is addicted to the stuff and is always disappointed if things I make don't smell of it. LOL.
  • I've subscribed -always pick few things up in the sales, stock up on cards, wrap etc, and have started my savings stamp collection, nectar stash and m&s rewards so that's a start.

Off to Florida in a few weeks and hoping to pick up loads of bargains there for teenagers -hollister , a&f, makeup etc.
    Just need to get the rest of the dollars to go shopping with first :cool:
    . FEB GC £255.82£240 :mad::mad::mad:
    MAR GC 230.46/ £240 :T:T
    APRIL GC 237.84/ £230 :(:(:(
    MAY GC £296.10/£ 270 (5 week month !):mad:
  • This thread has had me thinking all day, despite saying i wasn't thinking about it till May was over! Middle girl LOVES 1 Direction and is wanting some of their goodies for christmas. Had a look about for some 1 Direction hoodies and they are charging in the region of £15 + p+p! I reckon i could pick up some cheapy plain hoodies from Asda/Tesco and customize them myself for half the price. I have LOADS of crafty stuff which i never put to good use. Maybe now is the time.

Good idea?? Anyone ever done anything similar??
    Slimming World Challenge 2017 0/30.5lb

Grocery challenge 2017 JAN: £5.56/£350
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just remembered, I got lots of wrapping paper and crackers from M&S after Christmas. They are in the loft. Or was that last year? Oh dear, I will need to send OH up there to have a look, nearer the time. I know that my grandchildren are looking forward to The Elf on the Shelf putting in another appearance. He did a good job keeping them motivated and in check last year, LOL.