Negotiating on a Contract Hire Car Lease?

Options
Timay
Timay Posts: 103 Forumite
Hi

I have never had any sort of car lease and have only bought one car since I started driving 10 years ago and I was basically just wondering if you can negotiate on a contract hire lease cost or do dealers tend not to budge on lease deals much?

I know you can negotiate things that determine the cost such as annual mileage, initial deposit and lease length etc but can you negotiate the actual costs or get extra's thrown in for free like you would if you bought a car outright with cash?

My guess is probably not as I presume they have standard calculations that determine the monthly payments and you won't ever actually own the car etc

Thanks
Debt
Barclaycard (0% for 29 months) = £2500
Barclaycard (0% until September 14) =£476.93
Barclaycard (0% until October 14) = £390.82
Barclaycard (0% until May 16) = £105.58
TOTAL DEBT = 10364 (aim to clear June 16)

Comments

• albionrovers
    albionrovers Posts: 2,028 Forumite
    Options
    To me, in terms of leasing, this is all wrong.
    By the sounds of things, you want to pick a car and then customise it and then find a deal.
    To me, money-saving leasing is taking the current deal within your budget, regardless of brand. That's what I do whenever renewal time comes around.
    Did I say money-saving leasing? lol ...
  • zeon999
    zeon999 Posts: 229 Forumite
    Options
    Timay wrote: »
    Hi

I have never had any sort of car lease and have only bought one car since I started driving 10 years ago and I was basically just wondering if you can negotiate on a contract hire lease cost or do dealers tend not to budge on lease deals much?

I know you can negotiate things that determine the cost such as annual mileage, initial deposit and lease length etc but can you negotiate the actual costs or get extra's thrown in for free like you would if you bought a car outright with cash?

My guess is probably not as I presume they have standard calculations that determine the monthly payments and you won't ever actually own the car etc

Thanks

Hmmm, does not sound like you fully understand leasing.

Your not negotiating a deal when you tell them the mileage and length of contract they are simply requirements in order to quote you for obvious reasons.

The rental is worked out by the cost of the vehicle minus the expected value at the end of contract (which is why mileage and contract term are important part of quoting), then interest, commission added and spread across the term.

Generally the only thing you can haggle is the monthly rental as they can reduce their commission, some do free gifts sometimes.

The way to get the best deal with leasing is to look around at what special offers are on they try a few different companies to haggle the rental price.
  • bigjl
    bigjl Posts: 6,457 Forumite
    Options
    Yes I think the OP is a little bit unsure on how these things work, understandable as they have little car buying/leasing experience.

They could try Lings Cars.

Though a lot if the cars that site has are in specifications you might not want, lots of non metallic paint and not many with automatic gearboxes.

The only way you can lease with full input on vehicle specificication would be if you leased it through a Main Dealer and used the Manufacturers leasing scheme.

And if you have a PCP then you can add the options you want and have the option to hand back at the end, which is pretty much the same as a normal vehicle lease.

There are also different kinds of lease deal.

There is also Contract Hire aswell.

Though the LingCars website is as good a place as any to have a look and do some research into this, the website is a little, erm, unconventional but is full of lots of info.
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pick the deal and not the car. Try Lingscars.com to do some research and keep an eye out for the deals that represent great value for money usually subsidised my manufacturers who have stock to shift.
  • plane_boy2000
    plane_boy2000 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    Options
    bigjl wrote: »
    Yes I think the OP is a little bit unsure on how these things work, understandable as they have little car buying/leasing experience.

They could try Lings Cars.

Though a lot if the cars that site has are in specifications you might not want, lots of non metallic paint and not many with automatic gearboxes.

The only way you can lease with full input on vehicle specificication would be if you leased it through a Main Dealer and used the Manufacturers leasing scheme.

Not true, ling will quote you on any car in any spec. My current car from her was off the shelf, but the previous one was a factory build with options
  • DaniP
    DaniP Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, youre right. They do have standard figures after the mileage, term etc but obviously they have commission in the deal so they could take some commission out and that would bring your payments down. I had a £4 discount on my monthly payments from www.purplecontratcs.com
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    DaniP wrote: »

They are the crowd that told me VED was included in the lease and it wasn't. Wouldn't touch them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure