Do I need to buy a graduation gift?

Options
13»

Comments

• fatpiggy
    fatpiggy Posts: 388 Forumite
    Options
    I never got so much as a bean for passing any exams I've ever taken. In fact I got an ear bashing for not doing better in my O and A levels (mother was a school teacher). I don't actually remember my graduation as I'd gone down with some horrible virus and felt like death and frankly, if I could have avoided going to it, I would have.
  • ferrychristian
    Options
    Yes , you must buy a graduation gift for your daughter. I would suggest, sponsor her a trip to some beautiful countries. As now its time to feel relax, after studies ofcourse.
  • sunnyflower
    sunnyflower Posts: 304 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was discussing this with my son as he has his ceremony soon. I didn't even know that gift giving was the norm !He's not expecting anything anyway as we helped him out financially throughout his course and we will probably be shelling out for photos and a meal after the ceremony:o
  • jorok
    jorok Posts: 30 Forumite
    edited 6 August 2016 at 5:43PM
    Options
    A family dinner would seem to be the most appropriate way of celebrating graduation and a degree. Plenty of opportunity for gifts for birthdays and Xmas.
    Most students have already had financial help as a gift to get through their course.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The best gift would be to pay off their student loan. ;)
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • midnightraven3
    Options
    Our son graduated this year, we bought him a good watch. He had already been offered the job of his dreams and wears a suit everyday so his (adored) Batman watch didnt really cut it!:rotfl:
    I think its nice to mark the occassion
  • jamila40
    Options
    I think it's completely up to you - only you know your situation.
  • Ama007
    Options
    I guess times change. It's actually cool to give graduation. Presents I got someone this beautiful personalised necklace with their name on it. Didn't cost that much too. Check out coins4coolthings.blogspot For ideas
  • jackomdj
    jackomdj Posts: 3,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As op posted a couple of years ago I suspect they have made their decision. However it was good of you to join the site Ama007, just to let them know about something you bought and to post a link to a website!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure