Petrol Cost Cutting Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    empty the boot,dont carry any weight that isnt needed in the car.
    very easy to be carting around kg's of weight every trip.

dont use air con where possible as it takes power which = fuel to run

keep the windows closed on the motorway as it increases drag.
    same goes for roof boxes and roof racks.remove them if your not using them.

tyre pressures,check them weekly

car maintenence,a well maintained car returns the best MPG
    things like a slightly dragging brake can cost a fortune in petrol.
    same goes for an oil leak you keep topping up,the repair could be cheaper than oil costs

i'll think of more
  • Roosh
    Roosh Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    Only completely fill up when you really need to ... only put in enough for your immediate needs ... the more you put in heavier trhe car will be ... using more fuel. Make sure tyres are pumped up.
  • Morrisons are still selling all fuel at the pre-budget increase price until Saturday morning. I paid 93.9p for diesel last night and they are offering double points on the fuel card until 14th October - tot up 5000 points and they give you a £5 voucher. Given I do 25k miles a year I need all the help I can get.:j
  • Daeheryn
    Daeheryn Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    Well up here in the Highlands the prices regularly go above £1 (highest I've seen so far is £1.02 for unleaded), so I had to smile when they told people on the national news not to 'panic buy' before these price rises! Right now its 99.9p for unleaded at my nearest filling station, which seems to be the average price.

One tip though, cars are most fuel efficient at 55mph - above this efficiency drops steeply. Most places the limit is 60mph, so why not just travel a few mph slower? And even on dual carriageways - you're only just over 10mph below the speed limit, and you'll not hold anyone up as there's lanes!

Oh, and to answer the person earlier who asked about the same company charging two different prices for the same fuel in two places, Tesco in Inverness and Elgin is terrible for doing this - inverness is usually up to 10p per litre more expensive than Elgin... it's mad...
    Pay off as much as you can in 2011 challenge #116 £394.24/£6722.58
  • rogerbanana
    Options
    if you really want to save money in your diesel car, next time you go to tesco for your groceries, just add three bottles (nine litres) of their own brand cooking oil to half a tank of diesel then just fill up with diesel to the top. dont argue!
    it works fine and you wont notice any differance to the performance. i did it in an old ford van for ages and now do it in my new vw .:T
    articlealert.gif

This thread is to specifically discuss the content of the new

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click the reply button.
  • rogerbanana
    Options
    anewman wrote: »
    It works on some cars without modifications, but most cars need some sort of modification (to heat the oil). There's lots of info about this on the internet - but remember you have to legally declare how much you use to customs and revenue and pay tax on it as it is being used as a fuel substitute on the road, and if the police stop you and dip your tank to test whats in it, you can end up in lots of trouble.
    you can add veg. oil to any car without mods if you use it at about 30%.(see my thread about tesco)its true you do need to pay revenue on the oil, but its retrospective and you just declare how much you have used that month (yawn) and the risk of being "found out" is microscopic unless some one bubbles you.... also, i defy anyone to tell me that there is any reduction in performance or possibility of damage to the engine.i can tell you it works a treat!
  • FannyHill
    FannyHill Posts: 504 Forumite
    Options
    I've often thought of trying it with my Peugeot diesel and then chickened out incase I ended up messing up the engine and having to pay to get it fixed.
  • kelvinnewell
    Options
    If you sign up to leisuretime www.leisureforall.com/secure/enroll it will cost you £1 for 30 days membership and you get vouchers to reclaim £40 of petrol over 1 year. All you have to do is send a petrol receipt with a voucher to them and they will send you a cheque for £10. At the end of the 30 days you can cancel your membership but you get to keep the fuel vouchers, and Yes I have done it!

Kelvin
  • Neild_2
    Options
    As a car driver I understand the need to reduce peoples driving and cut emmission. However, when you have to drive in order to do your job (and a company car means more tax and heavy restrictions) why can we not have some help. The amount a companyt can pay its employees to use there own car has not been changed for years but the price of fuel goes up daily.
    My tight employer pays 45p for the first 10k 20p for the next 10K and 10p there after. But unless I can get an MPG of 45 minimum then I am now paying to use my car for work. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • Hazellnut
    Options
    Only a numpty would drive around looking for the cheapest fuel. As has been mentioned, start looking while you are on the road, before that red light starts to blink. Another tip - Get an Asda credit card. Asda's petrol prices are consistently low, currently 97.9 in my area, and if you use your credit card to pay for it, you get another 2p discount, and points! Can't fault it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure