We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Serious Problems With British Gas. Direct Debits Being Taken Twice.

Options
13»

Comments

• rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its all on their website.

Just a suggestion, but keep your complaint clear and succinct and don't repeat yourself.

http://www.britishgas.co.uk/help-and-advice/contactus-personal-details/complaints/gas-electricity.html
  • System
    System Posts: 178,109 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes I have just been on that website with the link you gave me. But I am already doing that I have gone to the complaints department. And the complaints manager denied that they British Gas have set me up for duplicate direct debits and deny they took a duplicate payment for my electric. So I don't know what to do.

A few years ago if you had this problem you could go to OFFGEM to complain about your energy supplier or go to Consumer Forcus. But I think the system has changed. It say on the website about going to the energy ombudsman,who I think is independent of British Gas,just like OFFGEM and Consumer Focus are.

But I think you can only go to the ombudsman after you have been to British gas complaints department and not been able to resolve the problem.

And my problem is not resolved because the complaints manager of British Gas denies that British Gas have set me up for and taken duplicate direct debit payments. So I am kind of stuck. The only think I can do is to stop all direct debits and go back to paper billing.And of course change my energy supplier. But it does not change what British Gas have done and how badly they have treated me as a customer.
  • Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 2,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you have raised a complaint it will not be closed until either the situation is resolved or it is deadlocked at which point you can take it to the next level. If they are not seeing the duplicate payments at BG's end but you have proof on a bank statement the easiest thing to do is email your complaints handler a copy. They can then do further checking on your behalf to find out what has gone wrong.

If they have closed your complaint ask for a new one to be raised and linked to the old one.
    Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs
  • System
    Options
    I have just now come off the telephone from my bank who I phoned again. I needed to check my account because I was worried about what another member here said. That British Gas could have given my bank details to another customer. From what my bank said that has not happened so that's not the worry as my bank balance is as it should be.

However the person I spoke to again confirmed that A duplicate payment for my electric was taken by British Gas. And that the bank have refunded me that payment. Though it won't be in my account for a few days. He also confirmed that duplicate direct debits were set up by British Gas and that the bank has cancelled the duplicates.

I then told my bank the problem I am having with British Gas saying they did not take duplicate payments when they did. I told my bank I need written proof that British Gas have taken those payments and have set me up for duplicate direct debits.

The bank or the person I spoke to this time said they are sending me a full statement.That will show the payments taken,which I will send to British Gas. I also the person I spoke to if the bank will also send me a letter confirming that future their system showed future direct debits were set up as duplicate direct debits. He said no the bank cannot send me such a letter. I am not sure if that's right or not maybe someone here can advise.

I also asked if British Gas take any more duplicate payments from me.Will the bank give me my money back. the man of my bank I spoke to today said only if British gas will refund me. yet the other customer service advisers of my bank I spoke to yesterday said the bank would. Problem is every customer service adviser tells you a different story.

I also asked if the bank could cancel my direct debits with British Gas if I decide I don't want direct debit anymore. This man said no I have to go tel British Gas that. Yet the customer service advisers of my bank I spoke to yesterday said yes I could cancel my direct debits through them the bank.

So I get the impression that this bank man(customer service adviser I spoke to today)was not that helpful as his answer was different from the other advisers answer.

But what worries me the most is that what if British Gas take more duplicate's out of my account and the bank won't refund me next time? What then? As British Gas refuse to admit they have set me up for and have taken duplicate direct debits from my account.

So I think the solution is that when British Gas re-opens on Tuesday after the bank holiday. I should just tell them I have changed my mind and I no longer want direct debit. And cancel all direct debits from British Gas and go back on paper billing by cash payment. That is the only way I can see to stop this.
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    annbarbs wrote: »
    I also asked if the bank could cancel my direct debits with British Gas if I decide I don't want direct debit anymore. This man said no I have to go tel British Gas that. Yet the customer service advisers of my bank I spoke to yesterday said yes I could cancel my direct debits through them the bank.

So I get the impression that this bank man(customer service adviser I spoke to today)was not that helpful as his answer was different from the other advisers answer.
    Or the advice you were given previously was incorrect ;)
    (which is the case!)
    annbarbs wrote: »
    ...But what worries me the most is that what if British Gas take more duplicate's out of my account and the bank won't refund me next time? What then?

Raise a complaint with the bank.;)
  • System
    Options
    Wywth wrote: »
    Or the advice you were given previously was incorrect
    (which is the case!)

Raise a complaint with the bank.
    Yes you are right because I have been onto my banks website and it clearly says that-I can cancel any direct debit by putting it in writing to my bank that I no longer want direct debit. Though it also advises that I tell the company concerned that I no longer want direct debit.
    It also says I am protected under the direct debit guarantee scheme that is with all banks.

And sure enough I have just spoken with a different customer service adviser of my bank over the telephone. She confirms that what you have told me is correct and I can cancel my direct debits by writing to my bank. And she also told me that if a duplicate payment of £40 is taken out of my account tommorrow on the 7th,they,my bank will give me my money back.

But it is true that because British Gas have my bank details they is no sure way to stop them taking any further duplicate payments in the months to come. And as British Gas deny they have taken duplicate direct debits and they also deny they set me up for duplicate direct debits.

So the best thing for me to do is to cancel all of my direct debits with British Gas when they open tomorrow. That I will tell them I have changed my mind and no longer want to pay my bills by direct debit. And tell then I want to go back on paper billing. Then my bank account will be safe again as British Gas will no longer have access to it.

Finally after that I will change my energy supplier and get away from British Gas as soon as I can. Because they have treated me very badly as a customer.
  • System
    edited 29 May 2013 at 5:52PM
    Options
    JSR wrote: »
    Are the reference numbers on the two direct debits the same or different? Can you compare them to your British Gas account number?

I had a very similar problem with Virgin Media when I switched bank accounts. They set-up direct debits for my account and somebody else's! I used the direct debit guarantee to get my money back and Virgin Media could track down the direct debit for the other person's account using the reference number.

Yes looks like your right I found out they done it to me.

British Gas have just taken another direct debit of £60 out of my account on 28th May DESPITE me canceling my all Direct debits with them on 7th May.

Apparently I found out today what has happened. My bank gave me the payment numbers for both the gas and electric payments.Which are NOT my gas and electric account numbers.They are that of another British Gas customer.

So yes you were right British Gas have set up 4 direct debits under someone else's account but those idiots used MY bank details instead of theirs. So I had in fact been paying some else's utility bills!

So despite the fact that I had cancelled my direct debits with British Gas on 7th May they had now gone and set up another direct debit without my consent on 28th May.

My bank have of course cancelled and refunded me all the money and I phoned BG again to further my complain. BG now say they removed my ban details from their data base. But they say one thing and do another.So now I don't know if they are telling me the truth. Those people, British Gas make me sick.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure