Updated Cheap Car Insurance guide - new system

Options
1222324252628»

Comments

• RedBalloon
    RedBalloon Posts: 1,467 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For the first time ever, I haven't been able to beat my renewal price.
    Anyone else had this?

My insurance is £150 more than usual, yet all comparisons seem even worse!
    "Buy me, Lady", said the frock, "and I will make you into a BEAUTIFUL & WHOLE & COMPLETE human being".
    "Do not be silly", said the Man, "for a frock alone cannot do that".
    "True", said the Lady, "I will have the shoes and the bag as well".
    :rotfl:
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,036 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I've just done a quote using the MSE tool. My quote from my current insurance provider was £597.93 (up from £406.73 last year). The tool brought me a quote of £374.17 from the very same provider saving me £223.76!

I call that a great result - thanks MSE.
  • BiggaThanBen
    BiggaThanBen Posts: 526 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Last year 220, renewal came at 370 (and they didn't take multicar discount off - only have 1 car now), all comparison sites show cheapest as 400+. DirectPlus 800.

Followed MSE advice - 25 days before renewal, not on weekend, tried swapping main driver to no avail (both have 15+ NCB, no accidents or convictions, nothing changed from last year)

Is there anything else I can do to avoid 100%+ increase, can't even haggle with the current provider as no cheaper quotes elsewhere ..
    All my life my mother told me the storm was coming (c) Terminator 3
  • brizzie_2
    brizzie_2 Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 6 February at 1:44PM
    Options
    Esure renewal price £763. Go Compare on date of renewal notice £641 after tweaking the occupation. Still Esure as the cheapest 5 star policy. Left it until 23 days before renewal and got a requote for £580. Bought  new Esure policy and cancelled existing Esure auto renewal. £250 excess from Go Compare also renews (cannot get that with a direct renewal). £183 saved. Thanks MSE.
  • jimmythe1
    Options
    I'm in shock! Just went the rounds to obtain comp insurance quotes for my 2016 Suzuki Vitara (no claims, no tickets, me geriatric).  And the cheapest in all 3 comparison sites is 70% higher than last year.  And MSE says "s'inflation innit". Well I'd love MSE to publish a breakdown of the main components of a quote (labour, parts, write-offs, profit margins); I bet they haven't all gone up by 70%.
  • nuffznuff
    nuffznuff Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jhe wrote: »
    my insurances have never auto renewed, but i always stress at the time of taking out new policies not to auto renew.

I guess so but then I would have to speak to a human being. I want to be able to do it when I order online. I work in IT I don't want to speak to people unless I really have to! ;)
    Ha ha! I work(ed) in IT - I can fully empathise with that! 
  • salamicat
    salamicat Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Evoque insurance  premium this year doubled with LV despite zero claims and been  with them
    several years same car.  Anyone had the same issue with LV? Think Aviva might be worth a try? 
  • 10_66
    10_66 Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    salamicat said:
    Evoque insurance  premium this year doubled with LV despite zero claims and been  with them
    several years same car.  Anyone had the same issue with LV? Think Aviva might be worth a try? 
    Yes, my LV car premium increased significantly this year too. Similarly, no changes and been with them for several years.
  • mgfvvc
    mgfvvc Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    salamicat said:
    While it can't hurt to shop around, insurance prices have shot up all round and Range Rovers have had specific issues, so you might be out of luck.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback