Faulty Sky+HD, do I have to accept a "reconditioned" replacement?

My Sky+HD 1tb box has failed completely after only six months of use. It's still within warranty, so do I have to accept a "reconditioned" replacement from Sky? Surely I should be able to expect a brand new decoder rather than one which has itself previously failed?

Comments

• halibut2209
    halibut2209 Posts: 4,249 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Surely it's Sky's box, not yours.
    One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Surely it's Sky's box, not yours.
    No mate, I bought it outright. Only Virgin provide rental boxes and even Sky boxes provided free by Sky become the property of the customer.
  • halibut2209
    halibut2209 Posts: 4,249 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You learn something every day :)
    One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
  • [Deleted User]
    You learn something every day :)
    I'm still none the wiser, though!:p
  • Dogger69
    Dogger69 Posts: 1,183 Forumite
    They are replacing like for like - your box is six months old, it is not new. They are allowed to do this.
  • vuvuzela
    vuvuzela Posts: 3,648 Forumite
    Dogger69 wrote: »
    They are replacing like for like - your box is six months old, it is not new. They are allowed to do this.

Exactly what I was going to say. You are getting a tested working box with new components in where necessary, in return for your faulty 6 month old one. Can't see the problem, myself.
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Provided that the reconditioned replacement is not older than 6 months, surely? (i.e. any replacement should be the same age or newer than the original).
  • [Deleted User]
    vuvuzela wrote: »
    Exactly what I was going to say. You are getting a tested working box with new components in where necessary, in return for your faulty 6 month old one. Can't see the problem, myself.
    I can't help feeling that, as the replacement has already failed and been repaired, that it is more likely to fail in the future. Just seems more of a gamble than a new box.
    I'm probably being pessimistic but I fear it'll fail just as the original warranty expires.
    I suppose my original box now goes on to somebody else...

Oh well..
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You're also assuming the box you got in the first place was new - you wouldn't be able to tell....I certainly couldn't with mine - and given the warranty is the same I'm not actually bothered either...
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    bod1467 wrote: »
    Provided that the reconditioned replacement is not older than 6 months, surely? (i.e. any replacement should be the same age or newer than the original).

Surely it only has to be an equivalent specification? Inventory management down to that level on the volume sky deal with would be epic-ally complicated...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure