Npower - When they say your in credit but only pay half of what the owe you ?

Options
hey

I moved in with my partner on 1st feb to a one bedroom flat. We received a gas and electric bill from npower and stayed with they as they seemed cheap but when we rang up to pay a bill we got and asked for pre payed meters to be put in they said they can do this. After that we received another bill with a different account number saying we owed them £XX amount so we payed that. Then they kept sending us bills all with different accounts and when we rang up they said so and so account has been closed . After they put pre payed meters in we received another bill this time another account number when we rang up they said we had to pay it because it was from when they canceled a account in our name to the day they put pre payed in. So when i said we had now got pre payed meters they closed that account. We got our pre payed meters in on the 25th feb2013. However back at the beginning of april 2013 we received another bill for electric and gas from them in another account which was in our name saying we were in credit by £107 in gas and £76 electric so we rang up to ask about closing it and them giving us a refund as we know have pre payed meters and they said to my partner they would send a cheque within 14days for £177. However after 14 days we havent received it so my partner rang up to see if they know where it is and they said they would cancel it and send us out another for £79. My partner asked them why is was less and they said its because of charges on that account yet we have paid all bills and was up to date with money. They also said they would put they money they owe us which is £79 into the bank straight away. However they owe us more is there anyway of getting all the money back as different advisers have told us we will get full amount back and another said we will only get £79 back plus they kept opening accounts in our name and not telling us. What can we do we a young couple on jobseekers and being messed around by npower. I have always been told if a energy supplier sends a letter out saying your in credit they have to pay that all back if this is so why are they saying we cant have it all back. Also how to we stop them opening a very of different accounts etc and each adviser telling us different. We have kept all letters from them plus all our bank statements to show we had paid all bills. Help please x

Comments

• Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    Options
    I gave up. My eyes kept crossing. Try inserting paragraphs and see if more patient readers give a helpful reply.
  • Nada666
    Options
    Here you go:
    emeylou wrote: »
    hey

I moved in with my partner on 1st feb to a one bedroom flat. We received a gas and electric bill from npower and stayed with they as they seemed cheap but when we rang up to pay a bill we got and asked for pre payed meters to be put in they said they can do this.

After that we received another bill with a different account number saying we owed them £XX amount so we payed that. Then they kept sending us bills all with different accounts and when we rang up they said so and so account has been closed .

After they put pre payed meters in we received another bill this time another account number when we rang up they said we had to pay it because it was from when they canceled a account in our name to the day they put pre payed in. So when i said we had now got pre payed meters they closed that account.

We got our pre payed meters in on the 25th feb2013. However back at the beginning of april 2013 we received another bill for electric and gas from them in another account which was in our name saying we were in credit by £107 in gas and £76 electric so we rang up to ask about closing it and them giving us a refund as we know have pre payed meters and they said to my partner they would send a cheque within 14days for £177.

However after 14 days we havent received it so my partner rang up to see if they know where it is and they said they would cancel it and send us out another for £79. My partner asked them why is was less and they said its because of charges on that account yet we have paid all bills and was up to date with money. They also said they would put they money they owe us which is £79 into the bank straight away.

However they owe us more is there anyway of getting all the money back as different advisers have told us we will get full amount back and another said we will only get £79 back plus they kept opening accounts in our name and not telling us.

What can we do we a young couple on jobseekers and being messed around by npower. I have always been told if a energy supplier sends a letter out saying your in credit they have to pay that all back if this is so why are they saying we cant have it all back. Also how to we stop them opening a very of different accounts etc and each adviser telling us different.

We have kept all letters from them plus all our bank statements to show we had paid all bills. Help please x
  • Nada666
    Options
    I would say

We have kept all letters from them plus all our bank statements to show we had paid all bills. Help please x

is what you should concentrate on.

Do you have a reading from when you moved in? I take it you have the reading from when the prepayment meters were placed.

You need to work out the cost of that usage (up to 25 Feb) and compare with the total that you have paid.

You should then write a letter titled COMPLAINT explaining how much you have paid and that you are still owed a refund. Point out the different account numbers and the fact that payments/refunds are being misplaced.
  • nPower
    nPower Posts: 1,319 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    emeylou wrote: »
    hey

I moved in with my partner on 1st feb to a one bedroom flat. We received a gas and electric bill from npower and stayed with they as they seemed cheap but when we rang up to pay a bill we got and asked for pre payed meters to be put in they said they can do this. After that we received another bill with a different account number saying we owed them £XX amount so we payed that. Then they kept sending us bills all with different accounts and when we rang up they said so and so account has been closed . After they put pre payed meters in we received another bill this time another account number when we rang up they said we had to pay it because it was from when they canceled a account in our name to the day they put pre payed in. So when i said we had now got pre payed meters they closed that account. We got our pre payed meters in on the 25th feb2013. However back at the beginning of april 2013 we received another bill for electric and gas from them in another account which was in our name saying we were in credit by £107 in gas and £76 electric so we rang up to ask about closing it and them giving us a refund as we know have pre payed meters and they said to my partner they would send a cheque within 14days for £177. However after 14 days we havent received it so my partner rang up to see if they know where it is and they said they would cancel it and send us out another for £79. My partner asked them why is was less and they said its because of charges on that account yet we have paid all bills and was up to date with money. They also said they would put they money they owe us which is £79 into the bank straight away. However they owe us more is there anyway of getting all the money back as different advisers have told us we will get full amount back and another said we will only get £79 back plus they kept opening accounts in our name and not telling us. What can we do we a young couple on jobseekers and being messed around by npower. I have always been told if a energy supplier sends a letter out saying your in credit they have to pay that all back if this is so why are they saying we cant have it all back. Also how to we stop them opening a very of different accounts etc and each adviser telling us different. We have kept all letters from them plus all our bank statements to show we had paid all bills. Help please x

Hi emeylou,

I am wondering if your account was billed up to date because if it wasn't then we would hold some of the credit back towards the energy charges that haven't yet been billed.

Would you like me to take a look into this for you? You can contact me at [EMAIL="forumresponse@npower.com"]forumresponse@npower.com[/EMAIL]

Kind regards,

Adam :)
    Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using helpandsupport@npower.com - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure