POF dating etc

Options
Do you think you have to be a complete match when dating or do you think opposites attract. It seems an impossibility to match yourself against someone on a written description so know on earth do you know if they are even compatible if opposites attract when you don't have the same type of personality or chemistry.

Comments

• harrys_nan
    harrys_nan Posts: 1,777 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I think it would be the most boring of relationships if a couple was a perfect match, as we are all individuals, we need a bit of independence. You cannot be with each other all of the time (apart from work), what would you find to talk about?
    It's good to have a lot of things in common and I think the same type of personality is important, it's no good one being the joker in the pack and the other one with no sense of humour at all.

What's your take on your question?
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys :j
    And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better

UPDATE,
    As of today 180919. my granddaughter is now my official granddaughter, adoption finally granted
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,388 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I put my details into EHarmony once - it matched me with men that do quilting!! I don't want a man that does quilting just because I do it, needless to say I didn't join.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think it is essential that you are a complete match...

hilda.jpg

Not!
  • podperson
    podperson Posts: 3,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't think you have to have everything in common but some common ground or a shared interest may be helpful. Me and OH will agree on some things and then have completely different tastes in other areas - over the years some things he's won me over to and others I still think he's nuts for liking!

That said I think it's important to agree on the important issues - such as views on marriage, children, career, core values etc. If you have different hobbies that can be worked round, if you want completely different things in the future then it's going to cause issues.
  • victory
    victory Posts: 16,188 Forumite
    Options
    It is important to agree on the big things but a perfect match does not exist even for those things:D
    misspiggy wrote: »
    I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory :)
  • bitemebankers
    bitemebankers Posts: 1,688 Forumite
    Options
    In my experience, it can work both ways. I've had relationships where there was little in common, and relationships where we had a lot in common. My only "red lines" concern core values and beliefs. Differences in interests and ideas can be very good in a relationship.

Regarding PoF specifically, it's a pretty rubbish dating site and you can usually tell very little about someone from a PoF profile. There are other, far better sites that allow for a much more rounded description of the individuals on there.
    "There may be a legal obligation to obey, but there will be no moral obligation to obey. When it comes to history, it will be the people who broke the law for freedom that will be remembered and honoured." --Rt. Hon. Tony Benn
  • newcook
    newcook Posts: 5,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wouldn’t say you have to be a complete match but like others on here, I think its important to have similar interests and wants (children, marriage etc).

I know from reading someones profile that if they state they listen to nothing but heavy metal music, ride a motorbike and never want to get married and have kids that they are completely the opposite of what Im looking for – therefore I wont waste my time or theirs by sending messages.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure