Options
2»

Comments

• Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    dodger1 wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me that people don't bother checking their bank statements. Maybe I'm just easily amazed ;)

No, dodger, you are not the only one easily amazed!

I check my online bank at least once a week, besides being easy and quick to do, it helps me to budget. Payments may go out at set times, but expenditure almost always occurs at irregular intervals. Especially if you have a "Cash in Hand" lifestyle.

I don't have enough income to ignore what is happening with my bank balance.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • Hazzanet
    Hazzanet Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    gycraig wrote: »
    Wow lot a lovely forum.

Why would I check my bank to make sure all my direct debits are going oSut. I have phone. Broadband.gym. Council tax gas and electric. Loans. Car insurance.

I just assume that when I set up a direct debit it should be taken. I have no problem paying the direct debit for 2 months then wiping my bill clean with first payment from my new job. Or paying an extra 10er on my bill till its paid off.

Sorry you feel that way; money's not tight for me but I do check my online banking regularly to make sure that everything's tickety-boo for just the reason you're posting as occasionally automated payments go wrong and when they do, it tends to bite.

The bottom line is that DD is a great way to pay when it works, but when it doesn't, it's still your responsibility to make sure the payment is made. While I do feel a modicum of sympathy for you, I also think that proactively managing your finances could have prevented this.

As previously mentioned by another poster - you need to go back to the company concerned with a plan as to how to pay off the arrears over a couple of months. If they feel you are making a genuine effort to correct the problem, they'll be more willing to help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure