A 'quick' water meter

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Water Bills
13 replies 1.7K views
m5rccm5rcc Forumite
1.5K Posts
1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Water Bills
Pardon my ignorance, but I would assume that if there is no running water inside a property or its garden that the water meter should NOT move?

I think I have either an issue or perhaps, more likely, a leak, whereby with no running water whatsoever, my water meter moves its large dial (one ten-thousandth of a cubic meter every 15 seconds).

Is this normal or do I indeed have a leak somewhere?

Thanks for any help/advice given.

Replies

• WywthWywth Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    m5rcc wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance, but I would assume that if there is no running water inside a property or its garden that the water meter should NOT move?

I think I have either an issue or perhaps, more likely, a leak, whereby with no running water whatsoever, my water meter moves its large dial (one ten-thousandth of a cubic meter every 15 seconds).

Is this normal or do I indeed have a leak somewhere?

Thanks for any help/advice given.

A water meter records the flow/quantity of water passing through it.

So if the meter is moving, water is flowing through the water meter.

What is happening to the water after it has passed through the meter, you will have to investigate.
    Is there a leak? Are you using a washing machine/dishwasher? It a toilet cistern filling up? Is a header tank filling up? etc.
  • edited 28 April 2013 at 1:20PM
    CardewCardew Forumite
    28.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 April 2013 at 1:20PM
    You have a leak!

- 24 litres an hour if my arithmetic is correct

Edit - just noticed link!
  • m5rccm5rcc Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Cardew wrote: »
    You have a leak!

Are you sure it is not one thousandths of a cubic meter and not one ten-thousandths? most meters are like the one below where the last red digit is a litre(i.e. one thousandths of a cubic metre)

Even if your is

Water-meter_diagram_v1.png

Click the link in post #1, x0,0001 = one ten-thousandth.
  • m5rccm5rcc Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Wywth wrote: »
    A water meter records the flow/quantity of water passing through it.

So if the meter is moving, water is flowing through the water meter.

Which makes total sense
    Is there a leak? Are you using a washing machine/dishwasher? It a toilet cistern filling up? Is a header tank filling up? etc.

I think there is leak if it is clearly moving, albeit very slowly.

I have no washing machine. Toilets and its washers are in order. No tank.
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, sorry just noticed your link.

If the meter is external, have you turned off the Stopc0ck in the house to see if leak is inside or outside.

An overflowing cistern into the bowl is a common cause of leaking and can be silent.
  • m5rccm5rcc Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    You have a leak!

- 24 litres an hour if my arithmetic is correct

Edit - just noticed link!

You are indeed correct. which is lot. It's gonna be a nightmare to find. Most of the grounds are covered in stone.
  • m5rccm5rcc Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    If the meter is external, have you turned off the Stopc0ck in the house to see if leak is inside or outside.

An overflowing cistern into the bowl is a common cause of leaking and can be silent.

I have an external meter. I do not have an internal stopc0ck to my knowledge.

I have closed all the valves that feed the three toilets, closed all taps, etc. Usually if anything is opened, I can hear the water running.

At the moment I hear nothing.

So far when I do not need water and overnight, I close the water meter stopcock.
  • edited 28 April 2013 at 1:42PM
    WywthWywth Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 April 2013 at 1:42PM
    m5rcc wrote: »
    I have an external meter. I do not have an internal stopc0ck to my knowledge.

I have closed all the valves that feed the three toilets, closed all taps, etc. Usually if anything is opened, I can hear the water running.

At the moment I hear nothing.

So far when I do not need water and overnight, I close the water meter stopcock.

All properties should have an internal stopcock. It will (usually) be located at the point water enters the building.
    This is typically under the sink .. but not always.
    http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2012/12/03/stopcock-tips-can-you-find-yours/

There will also be an isolation valve out in the street (probably where your meter is). I'm not sure you should be touching this as it doesn't belong to you! (But if you are careful, you can switch the water off here. However if you cause any damage, expect a very expensive bill. The water company typically charge about £50-£80 to come and turn the water on at this valve)
  • m5rccm5rcc Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    All properties should have an internal stopcock. It will (usually) be located at the point water enters the building.
    This is typically under the sink .. but not always.
    http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2012/12/03/stopcock-tips-can-you-find-yours/

There will also be an isolation valve out in the street (probably where your meter is). I'm not sure you should be touching this as it doesn't belong to you! (But if you are careful, you can switch the water off here. However if you cause any damage, expect a very expensive bill. The water company typically charge about £50-£80 to come and turn the water on at this valve)

This issue is not in the UK. I do not see any stopcock inside the house. Checked everywhere including the garage and kitchen sink.

I have so far closed the 'isolation valve' which is indeed by my meter, but in my property and I can open/close that as I please. When this is closed, no water passes and obviously the meter does not move.

I only wish there is an internal stopcock that way I can differentiate for sure whether the issue is internal or indeed external,
  • m5rccm5rcc Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    LindaLee wrote: »
    may be its amount is 24 litres per hour.

Excuse me?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals