We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

best supplements for pmt?

Options
have been on starflower oil for a month now. its brought me out in loads of spots which is funny because i thought it was supposed to help with skin complaints!
anyway this is the magic week and i feel as ratty as i always did!
i know its probably too soon for the starflower oil to be having much effect but is there anything else i could take?
:confused:

Comments

• denton6
    denton6 Posts: 566 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi i was told to take vitamin b6 which i bought from holland and barret,not sure if it has helped much but worth a try.
    wendy x
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    Options
    Cyclical Changes in Calcium Metabolism Across the Menstrual Cycle in Women with Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD). shows that significantly lower 1,25(OH)2D levels occur at luteal phase 4

This may mean that those with optimal status of Vitamin d throughout the month are in a better position to cope with the dip that occurs at a particular time of the monthly cycle.

However, as the mean 25OHD (vitamin d status) for both PMDD and control groups was less than 30 ng /mL 75nmol/L the level at which difficulties with calcium absorption start, it isn't surprising that some people respond to this shortfall in different ways. We need to repeat this work, using as controls, people who do not have vitamin d insufficiency status.

If we used 100nmol/L as the level when humans are sun (or dietary) Vit d replete. Then the vitamin D endocrine system will function in a fashion as do other steroid synthetic pathways, not limited by substrate and there would be a safetly margin above the healthy minimum level of circulation 25(OH)D 80 nmol (32 ng/mL) level as shown by biomarkers such as intact parathyroid hormone (PTH), intestinal calcium absorption, and skeletal density measurements

In a population where most people can be shown to have insufficient Vitamin d status most of the time. Confusing "Normal" or "Average" status with Ideal or Optimal status isn't helpful.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,196 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't know if Evening Primrose Oil would help at all: if I don't take it my boobs feel as if they're going to explode, but that's all year round ... Has to be a high dose: 1000m(whatever kind of M it is)g, not 500 or 600.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • skyrocket
    skyrocket Posts: 468 Forumite
    Options
    thanks sue. the reason i took the starflower oil is because someone told me it has a higher concentration of gla than evening primrose oil. but i am prepared to give anything a go! i hate feeling like this! i could happily rip someones face off at the moment!:o
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    My PMT dissapeared when I had a Mirena coil fitted (so did my periods, which was also a good thing)
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • skyrocket
    skyrocket Posts: 468 Forumite
    Options
    thanks raksha!
    i don't do too well with things like the pill and so on. i end up with no sex drive :o and the mirena has the same types of hormones doesnt it?
  • bulchy
    bulchy Posts: 955 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I've found cutting down my intake of caffiene has helped me a lot with PMT, especially my sore boobs. If I have any more than 2 cups a day, I suffer, and so does everyone else unfortunately. I must try to remember to take EPO, I bought a big bottle from H&B when they had them on promotion but forget to take them. Once they run out, I will try the starflower oil.
    Sue
  • Mics_chick
    Mics_chick Posts: 12,014 Forumite
    Options
    Cyclical Changes in Calcium Metabolism Across the Menstrual Cycle in Women with Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD). shows that significantly lower 1,25(OH)2D levels occur at luteal phase 4

This may mean that those with optimal status of Vitamin d throughout the month are in a better position to cope with the dip that occurs at a particular time of the monthly cycle.

However, as the mean 25OHD (vitamin d status) for both PMDD and control groups was less than 30 ng /mL 75nmol/L the level at which difficulties with calcium absorption start, it isn't surprising that some people respond to this shortfall in different ways. We need to repeat this work, using as controls, people who do not have vitamin d insufficiency status.

If we used 100nmol/L as the level when humans are sun (or dietary) Vit d replete. Then the vitamin D endocrine system will function in a fashion as do other steroid synthetic pathways, not limited by substrate and there would be a safetly margin above the healthy minimum level of circulation 25(OH)D 80 nmol (32 ng/mL) level as shown by biomarkers such as intact parathyroid hormone (PTH), intestinal calcium absorption, and skeletal density measurements

In a population where most people can be shown to have insufficient Vitamin d status most of the time. Confusing "Normal" or "Average" status with Ideal or Optimal status isn't helpful.

I know that you aren't meant to give medical advice on MSE and I accept that and understand the reasons why but I don't understand your medical/chemical-speak Ted so I would really appreciate it if you could explain this in simple laymans terms please so I at least stand a chance of understanding what your trying to say :D
    You should never call somebody else a nerd or geek because everybody (even YOU !!!) is an
    "anorak" about something whether it's trains, computers, football, shoes or celebs :p :rotfl:
  • speedyjoe
    speedyjoe Posts: 339 Forumite
    Options
    My wife used to suffer quite badly but is much better now. That might be because we have had kids in the past few years but I just asked her and she said "a good diet, no excessive amounts of chocolate, alcohol or caffeine and enjoy life" So that's all worth a try.

I'm a big advocate of EPA fish oil as a cure for many ills. I think flax seed or hemp seed oil are good substitutes if vegetarian.
    Joe

As through this life you travel,
    you meet some funny men
    Some rob you with a six-gun,
    and some with a fountain pen
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Options
    I can so relate to this topic! When the children were little we used to call it 'the rats' because I was so ratty with it!

Through trial & error I found Magnesium OK by Wasser. Most chemists sell them alongside B6 & the like, & they have about 46 different vitamins & minerals including zinc & K if memory serves. The best thing was by taking them every day I didn't have to go to a fortune teller to find out when the next session was due to work out when to start taking them!

I did a quick google earlier for a similar thread, & it looks like they're readily available online. Back in my day I found it cheaper to go straight to the manufacturer as there was a contact address inside the pack.

HTH & Good Luck with the search.
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business