BT existing vs. new customers

Options
I'm not a BT hater, been with them many years.

After years of somewhat painful though ultimately fruitful broadband contract negotiations, we seem to have reached a stalemate.

BT seem quick to assure us that new customers do not recieve better deals than existing customers.

The best deal they can offer us for 12/mth unlimited broadband is £13.65/mth. We still have hub 2.0 so slap on £29 if we want 3.0 hub.

A new customer can sign up to BT unlimited broadband today for 18/mth contract £16/mth with 6 months free. Save you the trouble that's £10.66/mth. On top of that new customers get hub 3.0 for £6.95 delivery + a £25 Sainsbury's gift voucher.

I'm not sure exactly what I'm expecting to get from this thread, but this is the only place I could think of for feedback short of emailing BT for some (no doubt) generic response. If I did a calculation wrong or missed some small print let me know. I just don't feel it's cool to give new customers such a sweet deal compared to what I can get.

Before anyone comments, I'm in a small rural exchange so I'm stuck with BT. Can't go with anyone else, can't become a new customer without incurring a £30 cancellation fee and a bunch of hassle - which ironically would still result in a better deal than simply renewing.

Apparently we should "be thankful that BT even provide us with broadband at all."

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    imaturtle wrote: »
    I'm not a BT hater, been with them many years.

After years of somewhat painful though ultimately fruitful broadband contract negotiations, we seem to have reached a stalemate.

BT seem quick to assure us that new customers do not recieve better deals than existing customers.

The best deal they can offer us for 12/mth unlimited broadband is £13.65/mth. We still have hub 2.0 so slap on £29 if we want 3.0 hub.

A new customer can sign up to BT unlimited broadband today for 18/mth contract £16/mth with 6 months free. Save you the trouble that's £10.66/mth. On top of that new customers get hub 3.0 for £6.95 delivery + a £25 Sainsbury's gift voucher.

I'm not sure exactly what I'm expecting to get from this thread, but this is the only place I could think of for feedback short of emailing BT for some (no doubt) generic response. If I did a calculation wrong or missed some small print let me know. I just don't feel it's cool to give new customers such a sweet deal compared to what I can get.

Before anyone comments, I'm in a small rural exchange so I'm stuck with BT. Can't go with anyone else, can't become a new customer without incurring a £30 cancellation fee and a bunch of hassle - which ironically would still result in a better deal than simply renewing.

Apparently we should "be thankful that BT even provide us with broadband at all."

No, you're not. Yes you can. There are dozens of BT resellers, many offering a cheaper tariff and better service. Plusnet would be just one obvious alternative, but there are many others.
    You can pick up a newer Hub on ebay for less than a tenner, but why would you bother? There are much better routers on the market.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • husk
    husk Posts: 45 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, but I was told that you couldn't cancel with BT and then immediately rejoin. Does anyone else know if this is true?

Are there any tricks for getting the £16 TV and Unlimited BB package. The best I've been offered as an existing customer is also £13.65 for broadband.

My only other option at the moment is talktalk for a cheaper deal.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    When have BT assured existing customers that new sign ups do not get better deals? It would be more correct to state that the tariffs are identical, but the the promotional deal (to 'hook' the new customer) is simply that, and as such unavailable to existing customers.

The thing you forget, is that each new customer is also agreeing to the maximum minimum term in order to get the discounted price. This is a massive commitment and I would argue is a major disincentive - as complaints from relocating MSErs will testify.

As for leaving and rejoining - the real decider is whether you are an existing customer. Deals may be available if you ask, but this comes with the aforementioned lock-in, and could cost you more in the long run.
  • husk
    husk Posts: 45 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Buzby wrote: »
    When have BT assured existing customers that new sign ups do not get better deals? It would be more correct to state that the tariffs are identical, but the the promotional deal (to 'hook' the new customer) is simply that, and as such unavailable to existing customers.

The thing you forget, is that each new customer is also agreeing to the maximum minimum term in order to get the discounted price. This is a massive commitment and I would argue is a major disincentive - as complaints from relocating MSErs will testify.

As for leaving and rejoining - the real decider is whether you are an existing customer. Deals may be available if you ask, but this comes with the aforementioned lock-in, and could cost you more in the long run.

Even at 18 months, like the OP stated you get 6 months free. This is definitely far, far cheaper than anything offered to existing customers. I personally see no disadvantage in being locked into an 18 month contract (as far as I can see this is the maximum commitment), it would just mean that I could get a cheaper deal for a longer period. Saying that, if you could give a reason why it might be I would gladly listen. Do they, for instance, hike the prices up after the 18 months?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure