MSE News: Car insurance costs fall

"Car insurance costs are continuing to fall, with the average annual policy now under £747, according to the AA ..."
Read the full story:

Car insurance costs fall

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• lazerlazer Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    I nearly died of shock when my insurance company quoted me £216 for renewal (Original was £275 but they phoned me to offfer discounts!!)

Have never got it under £300 before! (And I have increased mileage and am female, and reduced the excess from £500 to £250) - very very impressed.
    I highly recommend AXA to anyone!
    Weight loss challenge, lose 15lb in 6 weeks before Christmas.
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Well for the first time ever my insurance was less than the wifes, actually having more years no claims (therefore more proof of safe driving) is actually working now they can't decriminate based on the 50/50 chance I had when the egg was fertilised and I was decided to be male.

I will say our combined costs have seen a slight reduction so this can only be good news.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • I thought it was because the new car is group 16 instead of 18!

December 2012, the best quote was £380 before extras for the group 18 car. Now it's £291!

In March 2013, the group 16 new car had a best basic quote of £300. Now it's £266!

Both new quotes from Sainsburys Bank through Moneysupermarket.

What is going on? These are like 1993 prices.
    I should have bought myself something more sporty.
  • DJ_MikeDJ_Mike Forumite
    246 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Percy1983 wrote: »
    Well for the first time ever my insurance was less than the wifes, actually having more years no claims (therefore more proof of safe driving) is actually working now they can't decriminate based on the 50/50 chance I had when the egg was fertilised and I was decided to be male.
    Yes, why use empirical, statistical evidence that says our gender is more dangerous behind the wheel when you can simply trot out the gender discrimination card? :D
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    DJ_Mike wrote: »
    Yes, why use empirical, statistical evidence that says our gender is more dangerous behind the wheel when you can simply trot out the gender discrimination card? :D

I am not arguing with stats, the problem is the groups where to wide, not all males or all females are the same. As far as insurance went all females where safer than all males which is incorrect.

When a women with an accident, speeding offence and less years no claims got a cheaper quote than my proven safe driver record it had gone too far.

I do think age discrimination needs to go next, a 35 year old new driver gets so much cheaper than an 18 year old new driver yet none is proven to be safer than the other.

Things like power/size of car are fair enough as we can go smaller if we don't like it.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • EctophileEctophile Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    From my experience, the older you get, the less difference it makes what your car is.

When I sold my 2-seater sports car and replaced it with a cheap little city car, it made no difference at all to my premiums.

They seem to have decided that I'm a low enough risk that it doesn't matter what I drive.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • poppy10_2poppy10_2 Forumite
    6.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    My insurance renewal premium quote is down nearly 40%, after years of being static or rising. Was so shocked. Maybe because it's cos I is male - now that they've outlawed sex discrimination we are no longer getting screwed over by having more expensive premiums than the ladies.
    poppy10
  • thorthor Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Forumite
    I hope this new found ability for insurance companies to start reducing premiums lasts until next January when my renewal is due.
    I doubt it.
  • Ectophile wrote: »
    From my experience, the older you get, the less difference it makes what your car is.

When I sold my 2-seater sports car and replaced it with a cheap little city car, it made no difference at all to my premiums.

They seem to have decided that I'm a low enough risk that it doesn't matter what I drive.

Turning 50 this year. I hear that Alfa Romeo is bringing back the Spider (The Graduate, Dustin Hoffman). Platform share with Mazda 5.;)
  • worried_jimworried_jim
    11.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I drive a Saab 93 turbo and it's the cheapest car I have ever insured. Change from £200.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides