Leaving the hub on? Web newby

Sorry for asking a non tecky question but it's a tecky one to me as I'm new web user. I've got my hub from BT, set it up, all working ok but the instructions say to leave it on for next 10 days to allow broadband to get up to maximum speed. Once that period is over, and here's what some of you will probably fall about laughing at .......... do you leave the hub switched on all the time then or just switch it on when you want to use the internet? I'm out at work all day, will prob only use the laptop/web on the evenings/weekends, and not every evening, so I didn't know if it was just switch on as needed. Thanks.

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Leave it on all the time, otherwise it has to resynch each time you reboot it. The power drain is minimal.
    If you are going away for several days then you may want to switch it off.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • only_mee
    only_mee Posts: 2,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If you are a "newbie" make sure the security for the wireless is sufficient, the documentation you receive will help you.
  • Three things never to switch off in your house:

1. Freezer
    2. Home Hub / Router
    3. Grandma's Life Support Machine
  • spannerzone
    spannerzone Posts: 1,549 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Three things never to switch off in your house:

1. Freezer
    2. Home Hub / Router
    3. Grandma's Life Support Machine

We'll I'd agree with the first two anyway :rotfl:

Never trust information given by strangers on internet forums
  • colin79666
    colin79666 Posts: 1,348 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Yes leave it on all the time. If you don't use the wireless you can turn that feature off to save a little power drain and gain some extra security.
  • Savannah02K
    Savannah02K Posts: 307 Forumite
    Thanks for the replies, but how do you turn the wireless off? And sorry to be complete non tecky but how do you set a password for your wifi to make sure no one else is using it? There was nothing I saw in the CD prompts when setting up the system to tell me to add a password yet everyone else I know seems to have one. Can one be added retrospectively?
  • westy22
    westy22 Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    Thanks for the replies, but how do you turn the wireless off? And sorry to be complete non tecky but how do you set a password for your wifi to make sure no one else is using it? There was nothing I saw in the CD prompts when setting up the system to tell me to add a password yet everyone else I know seems to have one. Can one be added retrospectively?

Your Wi-Fi security password will be the alpha-numeric code that you used to set-up the system. It is normally printed on a label on the BT hub and also in the documentation BT sent to you.

You must have it otherwise you wouldn't be able to connect yourself.
    Old dog but always delighted to learn new tricks!
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    As above. The password is already set up on the Hub. In order to connect any device by wi-fi you must use it.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • But I don't have to key in that alphanumeric code every time I switch on, the broadband just opens up, so are you saying it would be the people outside (neighbours say) who would need that code to be log into my broadband? Sorry, am complete teck novice without IT support at work!
  • only_mee
    only_mee Posts: 2,367 Forumite
    Yes they would, your pc/laptop must connect directly then with a cable?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure