We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Moving House Essentials Box / Survival Kit

Options
RedBlue
RedBlue Posts: 63 Forumite
My parents are moving house next week and I want to make them a Moving House Essentials / Survival Kit.

So far I have a big storage box from Wilkinsons and have put in it tea towels, spoons, hi-ball glasses and am thinking of other stuff like toilet roll, kitchen roll, tea/coffee and biscuits - plus of bottle of wine/champagne.

What else can I put in there? What things did you really want/need on your moving day?

Thanks!

Comments

• Mimi_Arc_en_ciel
    Options
    Tea, coffee, milk, sugar, dish cloth, washing up liquid, take away menus! erm.... will think of more later for you :)
  • Bufger
    Bufger Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Are they not going to have access to all of their usual stuff? have they never moved house before?

Personally the only essentials I need are:

Address i'm going to
    Keys
    Money for chip shop as I'll finish unpacking late

Having toilet roll, kitchen roll etc suggests they're moving across the other side of the planet and wont have access to any of their stuff for weeks.
    MFW - <£90k
    All other debts cleared thanks to the knowledge gained from this wonderful website and its users!
  • the_frugal_frog
    Options
    cans/cartons of juice.
    Also maybe one or two delivery menus from local eateries, movings hard work and maybe a take away or delivery on the first night would be welcomed, its what I did.

Its also useful to have screwdrivers handy, theres usually always something that needs putting together, fixing, screwing tight.
    SPC 2012 #1456
    2011 wins so far, Glyayva whiskey, heinze goodies, anchor goodies x 3, nails inc polish, more heinze, amazon voucher, fererro rochers..kushelle koala.
  • the_frugal_frog
    Options
    and lightbulbs, some people are reallly tight and take the lightbulbs with them!!??
    SPC 2012 #1456
    2011 wins so far, Glyayva whiskey, heinze goodies, anchor goodies x 3, nails inc polish, more heinze, amazon voucher, fererro rochers..kushelle koala.
  • picklekin
    picklekin Posts: 889 Forumite
    Options
    Some cleaning cloths and spray (and maybe bleach), the house I moved into really needed a good clean in places even on the first day before I could happily sit in it!
  • RedBlue
    RedBlue Posts: 63 Forumite
    Options
    Bufger wrote: »
    Are they not going to have access to all of their usual stuff? have they never moved house before?

Personally the only essentials I need are:

Address i'm going to
    Keys
    Money for chip shop as I'll finish unpacking late

Having toilet roll, kitchen roll etc suggests they're moving across the other side of the planet and wont have access to any of their stuff for weeks.

Well I was thinking along the lines of all their usual stuff will be packed away in boxes and this will be easier for them.
  • This_Year
    This_Year Posts: 1,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    RedBlue wrote: »
    My parents are moving house next week and I want to make them a Moving House Essentials / Survival Kit.

So far I have a big storage box from Wilkinsons and have put in it tea towels, spoons, hi-ball glasses and am thinking of other stuff like toilet roll, kitchen roll, tea/coffee and biscuits - plus of bottle of wine/champagne.

What else can I put in there? What things did you really want/need on your moving day?

Thanks!

Make sure they have access to their kettle! That was one thing we forgot and the kettle was in the box at the bottom of the pile of boxes in the kitchen (as it was the last thing in the van at the old house!)
    and I would have killed for a cup of tea!
  • tayforth
    tayforth Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds obvious but don't forget cups for the tea! And how kind of you xx
    Life is a gift... and I intend to make the most of mine :A

Never regret something that once made you smile :A
  • neverdespairgirl
    neverdespairgirl Posts: 16,501 Forumite
    Options
    When we mvoed last year it took me ages to find where one of us had hidden the duvet covers. We had to use sleeping bags for a few days.
    ...much enquiry having been made concerning a gentleman, who had quitted a company where Johnson was, and no information being obtained; at last Johnson observed, that 'he did not care to speak ill of any man behind his back, but he believed the gentleman was an attorney'.
  • lottie_no1
    lottie_no1 Posts: 80 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I'd pack tea/coffee, sugar, long-life milk (just in case), loo roll, kitchen roll, biscuits, cleaning clothes and cleaning stuff. Oh and air freshener/febreeze if the place they are moving into has been empty for a little while.
    LBM April 2011
    DF Date [STRIKE]April 2017[/STRIKE] October 2014!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure