PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

First Time Buyers - Enough is Enough!

Options
1232425262729»

Comments

• carpetbelly
    carpetbelly Posts: 343 Forumite
    Options
    Well, I never saw certain global situations coming to a head. I'm a realist and if I am wrong I am more than happy to hold my hand up and admit my mistake. But as for being a bullish bull... Well, I aways just tried to say it as I saw it. I never saw such a drop coming, I always thought the market would just stagnate. But then I still believe in the advice I generally used to give, which was if you're going to buy a house you just have to look at your individual circumstances and see if it was right for you. Especially in the last few months I think I've generally said don't bother unless it's your dream house as a dream house, well, that's got to be worth it hasn't it :D

As for the house price, well, the original price in 1995 on the LR was £255k. What are you meant to do at that price? I mean, the valuations we got were around the £275k mark and in todays market and with stamp duty who would really pay more than £250k? The most realistic EA did turn round and suggest it gets marketed at that rather than the 275 the others were saying. I suggested it to the family to. And even then, it's marketed at the 250k mark so we'll obviously get offers under that to. So someone will get a house for prob nearer 1991 prices lol.

It's a bit of an individual property near Lincoln to and has like no neighbours for a couple of miles around and with a small stable area. So would have to appeal to a certain type of person. And with the area it's in it didn't really ever gain the amounts that some of the properties in other areas gained. For a quick sale it just needs to be realistic. And to market it at 250k is realistic and the 1995 price. I find it silly personally but silly sellers won't get anything but a property to hold onto for a while. At least the misses and her bros have a chance to sell and someone else to get quite a bargin
  • carpetbelly
    carpetbelly Posts: 343 Forumite
    Options
    But in real or nominal terms? :-)

shhhh, I already admitted I was wrong on one part... let me loosely hang on to the idea I might have had at least the other part right ;)
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    is it my imagination or did Nelly. who in 2005 proclaimed that anyone buying a house then was an idiot, buy a house in 2007?
  • dougk_2
    dougk_2 Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    Options
    Well if thats the case Nelly actually confirmed what I always thought he was!
  • HammersFan
    HammersFan Posts: 344 Forumite
    Options
    carolt wrote: »
    :eek:

Still, plenty of bulls in denial out there. Wonder how long till HammersFan etc admit they had it wrong? ;)

Thought I'd pick up the baton / bait. End of last year I predicted a 2-3% rise in prices on Land Registry figures between end 2007 and end 2008. I don't think I am going to be more than 4% out - but time will tell I guess. I still don't think there is going to be the fall off a cliff many are hoping for (really depends on whether we dodge a recession, signs of credit already loosening up again - note I am not saying that is a good thing).
    18 May 2007 (start of Mortgage):
    Coventry Offset Mortgage £220800
    Offset Savings: £0
    Mortgage Balance: £220,800

14 Jan 08
    Coventry Offest Mortgage: 219002
    Offset Savings: 28200
    Mortage Balance: £190802

And still chucking every spare penny into it!
  • geoffky
    geoffky Posts: 6,835 Forumite
    Options
    hammersfan you said a lot more than that.....remember you were wrong and said no way would prices fall.........:rotfl:remember our little spars:T
    i think you might be 20% out by the end of the year..
    It is nice to see the value of your house going up'' Why ?
    Unless you are planning to sell up and not live anywhere, I can;t see the advantage.
    If you are planning to upsize the new house will cost more.
    If you are planning to downsize your new house will cost more than it should
    If you are trying to buy your first house its almost impossible.
  • HammersFan
    HammersFan Posts: 344 Forumite
    Options
    geoffky wrote: »
    hammersfan you said a lot more than that.....remember you were wrong and said no way would prices fall.........:rotfl:remember our little spars:T
    i think you might be 20% out by the end of the year..

Ah hello again. At least you manage to avoid dishing out nasty insults this time. You getting abusive isnt sparring - it is you getting abusive.

Lets see at the end of the year. 20% fall on Land Registry just aint gonna happen old fruit.
    18 May 2007 (start of Mortgage):
    Coventry Offset Mortgage £220800
    Offset Savings: £0
    Mortgage Balance: £220,800

14 Jan 08
    Coventry Offest Mortgage: 219002
    Offset Savings: 28200
    Mortage Balance: £190802

And still chucking every spare penny into it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport