Victoria Plumb Bathrooms Problem

Options
Jason.rangou
Jason.rangou Posts: 131 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 15 April 2013 at 9:35AM in Consumer rights
I am having a problem with Victoria Plumb and I need a little advice please.

In august last year I purchased a bathroom suite and taps from Victoria Plumb. Last week the Hampshire bath/shower mixer broke, due to the diverter valve (the valve in the middle, that changes the flow from the taps to the shower) basically, the handle moves from side to side but nothing happens.

I contacted Victoria Plumb and after waiting on the line for over 10 minutes I got through to an agent. I was told that I would need to get a plumber out to look at them in order to confirm that they were indeed faulty due to the manufacture and not by my family.

I called a plumber on Friday who kindly came out (at no charge) to look at them, he sent me an email that evening with an attached letter headed note confirmed it was a manufacture fault and how much he would charge to fit it. I thought nothing more of it.

Over the weekend I received an email back from Victoria Plumb saying
We need a detailed plumbers report which includes –
The work carried out (call out fee)
The cost per hour the plumber charged you for the call out.
The details of the fault, whether this a manufacturing fault.

This will all need to be on letter headed paper.

I have gone back to the plumber and asked him to provide more details. However, I am not sure if he is going to respond as he has already confirmed that the diverter valve is faulty and he doesn't charge a call out (as advertised on his web site) and he has sent me a quote for £65 to remove and fit the bath/shower mixer? so I am not sure what else I can do.

The problem is, we have 18 month year old triplets. Bath time is an essential part of their routine. This has been going on now for almost a week and anyone with multiples will know that routine is essential! I have tried calling Victoria Plumb today but the agent I spoke to would not put me through to a supervisor or manager. I got the feeling that they are more concerned at how much they are going to have to pay the plumber to fit that they are about sending the taps, even though I said that I would pay out of my pocket for fitting as I want my children to be able to have a bath this week.

I don't really know what I should do now. We live in a rural area and plumbers aren't easy to come by without being charged call out fees?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Legally, as you purchased the item over 6 months ago the onus is on you to prove that the fault is inherent to manufacture. A proper, detailed report from a plumber would do this and you should be aware that any cost to you in getting this done can be claimed back from the retailer should it go in your favour.
  • Slowhand
    Slowhand Posts: 1,073 Forumite
    Options
    Is it not possible to fill the bath from the shower?
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It sounds like they are asking you to get it fixed, then go back to them with the cost.

Your best bet may be to get it fixed then chase Victoria Plumb for a refund of your costs afterwards.
  • barbiedoll
    barbiedoll Posts: 5,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    £65 to fix and no call-out charge PLUS a free letter detailing the fault? Get your plumber to fix it and hang onto his number, he sounds like a keeper!

I'm sure that he'll provide you with a letterhead and proper written invoice along with a report so that you can claim from VP, but you clearly need to get it fixed sooner rather than later so pay up now and claim from them afterwards.
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
  • margarete_2
    Options
    See http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews240088.html

I've not used the firm myself, but I keep getting marketing spam from it. I have found it impossible to unsubscribe from these.
    Lose weight by eating less salt! - Go on! - Try it! - It works!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure