Experian & Equifax

Hi everyone,

I just wondered if anyone else is having the same issues I am with the different credit reporting companies...

I bought my equifax report yesterday and got a "fair" rating. Today I bought the experian one and was rated "excellent"

I have two small defaults (settled) on my file, one from 2011 and one from 2008 for mobile phone bills.

Any ideas why they would differ so much? Will this affect me when trying to get a mortgage.

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Replies

• ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    85.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Any ideas why they would differ so much?

They hold different information.

Until such time as a lender requests a credit profile of you. The records won't be updated with information held elsewhere.
    Real insurance claim quote : -

"Going to work at 7am this morning I drove out of my drive straight into a bus. The bus was 5 minutes early.".
  • edited 11 April 2013 at 5:40PM
    macarena123macarena123 Forumite
    50 Posts
    edited 11 April 2013 at 5:40PM
    Also bear in mind that the "scores" they give you are pretty worthless as they use their own criteria.

Obviously if you have a red flag for CCJs, defaults, etc, this could be a problem. However a mortgage lender will also look at things like income, employment status and deposit size when assessing you, none of which are taken into account by Equifax or Experian, and could make or break your application with a lender.

My advice would be
    1) Check that the info is correct, i.e. they have your correct addresses, show you on the electoral roll, and don't have any erroneous missed payments, etc on the file. Then forget about their score.
    2) If you have concerns about any past issues, talk to an independent broker, who can give you more accurate information about how much of an issue these may be

Good luck!
  • HELP! Just realised why my credit report looks so much better with experian... Some of my mums credit cards and loans (which are immaculately paid) are on there as we have the same name and address (except she's mrs and I'm Miss) will this affect me?!
  • AnniseleAnnisele Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    You need to get in touch with Experian and get them to fix it - as it stands, the mistake will affect you and your Mum.
  • Yep - you should look at your report from all three agencies: Experian, CallCredit and Equifax (who are a total nightmare by the way).

Note any errors like the ones you''ve found and ask them to update their file. It's all fixable. but you should get it corrected before you apply for a mortgage.
  • bigadajbigadaj Forumite
    11.5K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Though ironically this is one instance when the OP may be benefitting from an error by a cra. Might be tempting to wait for correction if a mortgage application is being considered in the near future.
  • AnniseleAnnisele Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    But a history of repaying a loan isn't entirely a benefit - if a lender thinks the credit cards and loans belong to the OP, they will reduce the amount the OP can borrow.
  • Experian_company_representativeExperian_company_representative Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    As well as name and address, credit checks are guided by dates of birth, so I don't know how this could have happened. However, if you request a financial disassociation via the Experian website we will sort this out I'm sure.

James Jones
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Stuart Storey & Joe Standen
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides