We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Maximising income - Mystery Shopping? Surveys? (Part Two)

Comments

• ilean
    ilean Posts: 93 Forumite
    Hi
    Looking for shoppers to do family bar visits next weekend (2nd June - 3rd June) in:

Oxford
    Newcastle
    Plymouth
    Sunderland

Must have Excel

Must be between 12:00 – 15:00 for 1 adult and 2 children (under 12 yrs)
    Food and drink purchases required and refunded

Anyone interested and available on one of these dates please drop me a line

Eflaherty1@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks
    Eileen
  • angelsarah
    angelsarah Posts: 151 Forumite
    im new to all this too and was reading about the tax return thing and was thinking that i should start. the only thing im a little confused on is the 22% tax bit. If some of the profit for myself is actually -£1.5 (ie ive not made any profit and lost money on an assignment) but i have profit at £1.50 will this cancel itself out when i add it up so no tax will have to be paid??? if that makes sense!!!

:TThAnKs To EvErYoNe oN MSE fOr AlL yOuR hElP
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,347 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Second Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    angelsarah wrote: »
    im new to all this too and was reading about the tax return thing and was thinking that i should start. the only thing im a little confused on is the 22% tax bit. If some of the profit for myself is actually -£1.5 (ie ive not made any profit and lost money on an assignment) but i have profit at £1.50 will this cancel itself out when i add it up so no tax will have to be paid??? if that makes sense!!!

It does make sense, and the answer is yes :D No tax payable in this scenario. However, it does still need a tax return, and if you carry on making a loss or breaking even, the IR may start getting interested.......:o
    Ex board guide. Signature now changed (if you know, you know).
  • josie
    josie Posts: 3,107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It does make sense, and the answer is yes :D No tax payable in this scenario. However, it does still need a tax return, and if you carry on making a loss or breaking even, the IR may start getting interested.......:o

As long as your records are in order, i.e. mileage at 40p per mile, print costs, parking, etc.,then it's quite easy to show a paper loss and it's all above board - no reason for IR to get interested - you've got the legitimate proof of your expenses!
  • moneymaker2
    moneymaker2 Posts: 449 Forumite
    what happens if you have no proof of things- I have used 2 lots of parking today at a cost of £2.70 and I wasn't offered a reciept for either.
  • catwoman150
    catwoman150 Posts: 974 Forumite
    I am still waitning for my tax return. Has everyone else got theirs and completed them? Should I ring my local tax office or shall I wait and wait. I know that I might not owe any money to the tax man as I have a full time job and have only been Mystery shopping since last May.
    cross stitch cafe #90 UFO's 6 to finish in 2013, and loads of new kits to boot
    Refunded bank overdraft charges £915 :j
    SPC 2007-2008 #078 aim £500-£341.67
    SPC 2011-2012 #078 aim £500-£426.42
    SPC 2012-2013 #078aim £500 - TBC
  • moneymaker2
    Have done 2 mystery shopper jobs today and I have just completed the feedback and it took approx 1 hour.
    I have worked out that if I provide this info to the tax man it show that I have made a loss of £15.76. Do you think they'll find this believable. I didn't was not worth doing them today at all. And not sure how sassie work in regards to checking the work and then paying you.
    It could all have been for nothing yet.
  • Why did I never think of doing anything like this before?

Registered with Retaileyes and got a job on Monday in a pub, suppose it'd be nice to take the missus out for some grub as a thank you for all she's got to put up with and get some money at the same time.

Birds =2
    Stone =1

:D
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,347 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Second Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Have done 2 mystery shopper jobs today and I have just completed the feedback and it took approx 1 hour.
    I have worked out that if I provide this info to the tax man it show that I have made a loss of £15.76. Do you think they'll find this believable. I didn't was not worth doing them today at all. And not sure how sassie work in regards to checking the work and then paying you.
    It could all have been for nothing yet.

Remember, most ordinary small businesses make a loss in the first year. I think you are saying that you didn't think today's work was worth doing - is that right? We all have days like that, when the MS goes pear shaped and we make a loss or just work out that we are working for about half the minimum wage, by the time we've done the q'aire :o I would try to make a small profit at the end of year one - you've got plenty of time to make it up before the end of the year....:rolleyes: But if you make a loss, so be it! As I say, the IR will have seen this before......:cool:
    Ex board guide. Signature now changed (if you know, you know).
  • moneymaker2
    i just don't want the ir thinking that i am taking the !!!! by saying that i made a loss. The only i say that i made a loss is because in their eyes they allow yiou 40p a mile.
    I did 68.9 miles yesterday which works out at £27.56 petrol. I know this isn't true as my petrol cost £35 a tank and I only used a 1/4 of it.
    So in my eyes i prob made a little bit but in the ir eyes i would have made a loss.
    Does that make sense?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.