PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cold chicken tikka / tandoori chicken

Options
I've been buying the packets of cold chicken tikka / tandoori chicken from the chilled meat section in Asda.

We really love it but at £5 for 2 packs it's not cheap and seeing as I regularly roast chickens and use the left overs for various things - why not this too?

But I can't seem to think how to convert the cold roast chicken to chicken tikka . Any suggestions. I'm sure it's something really obvious!

Comments

• andipandi_2
    andipandi_2 Posts: 474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jet wrote: »
    I've been buying the packets of cold chicken tikka / tandoori chicken from the chilled meat section in Asda.

We really love it but at £5 for 2 packs it's not cheap and seeing as I regularly roast chickens and use the left overs for various things - why not this too?

But I can't seem to think how to convert the cold roast chicken to chicken tikka . Any suggestions. I'm sure it's something really obvious!

really its better to use fresh marinated chicken for any type of curry dish,thats the key ,to marinate for as long as possible and don't forget those supermarket type products are very high in salt.
    don't get mad do yoga

• pioneer
    pioneer Posts: 259 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Chicken Tikka
    1 pint of live natural yogurt
    1 Tablespoon Cumin powder
    1 Tablespoon garam massala
    1 Teaspoon Coriander powder
    1 Teaspoon Turmeric powder
    1 Teaspoon chilli powder
    Juice 1 lemon
    8 cloves garlic - crushed
    1 inch grated ginger
    Red food colouring
    4 Chicken Breasts
    1 Lemon

For full recipe see here
    "Didn't I try to Warn them I said !"
    David Essex War of the Worlds.
    "Thats Ancient History, Been There! Done That!" Hercules
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,152 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can buy 'tandoori spice' from supermarkets. It's with the other herbs and spices. I mix that with natural yogurt and then marinate the raw meat before cooking. I'm not sure how you would create this with chicken that has already been cooked .
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thanks pioneer, ive been after the spices for tikka for ages - will be trying that later in the week!!!
  • lindadykes
    lindadykes Posts: 391 Forumite
    Options
    I have done a "mock" tikka recipe with cooked chicken, though I can't remember where I got the recipe from, nor the actual recipe, but it was along the lines of coating the cooked chicken in the tandoori spice mixed with thinned tomato puree, then quickly stir frying it.
  • richyg
    richyg Posts: 148 Forumite
    Options
    Agree - once it has been cooked in my opinion you have lost the moment. You could cut a breast off before roasting the chicken. You would probably get what would be charged at £2.50 or more in the cook chill cabinet and spice as you desire out of 1 breast.

Another thing that is gorgeous if the chicken is cooked but you can get to the breast before the family scoffs it is CORONATION CHICKEN.

Dice a salvaged breast or even smaller chunks or brown meat into small bits 1 cm or so without skin.
    Mix with - teaspoon or two or simple mixed curry powder (or paste) but not curry sauce.
    and a table spoon of mango chutney or apricot chutney or even apricot jam
    add in a tablespoon or so of mayonnaise (even salad cream if desperate) to coat it and mix the fruit and spice flavour together.

and you have a first rate Coronation chicken for delicous sandwidges or to serve with rice salad or cous cous.

:T

There is an saying perhaps an urban myth that this was a gift from the Indian Commonwealth chefs at the queens Coronation banquet hence the name. Anyway nice simple food with a bit of historic interest.
  • Herbaholic
    Herbaholic Posts: 304 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My DH likes different flavoured chicken for his pack up (he's just taken my mexican chicken on today's sarnies) and like the OP I was buying the stuff from Asda or Tesco, but it was getting expensive. I now get round it by making our own 'dry' marinades and when Asda or anywhere do BOGOF chicken breasts or I find them reduced I coat the chicken breasts in the mix I require and cook in the oven. Once cooked I slice and when cold they get frozen in pack up sized batches, they defrost well and make tasty chicken sarnies at a fraction of the shop bought ready made ones.

You may need to reduce the amount of spices as my blends may be too spicy or not spicy enough for your tastes, I'm trying to perfect a BBQ one, knorr used to make a product called marinade in minutes a couple of years ago, but I can't find them anymore. The BBQ and cajun ones were nice, so far the BBQ blends I've made just haven't worked, I just can't seem to get that 'smoky' sweet taste no matter what I do and as yet I haven't tried any tandoori blends as we don't go for tandoori much in our house.

The beauty of these blends is the have no MSG or nasties in them aside from sugar and salt which you can omit if you prefer! The blends will keep a good few weeks if you store them in an airtight jar, I use some that I got from Julian Graves that you can use to shake the blend on to the meat. The method is the same for all of them put the ingredients into a bowl and mix together, when thoroughly mixed put them in your storage container. The sugar sweetens the blends it also seems to help them form a stickier glaze, but as I saod above it can be omitted.

Tikka Dry Marinade

3 Tsp Instant Tomato Soup Mix (eg a cup a soup, you can omit this but the tikka mix won't have the orange/red colouring. If you're making the blend to use straight away you can use tomato puree instead.)
    2 Tsp Ground Coriander
    2 Tsp Ground Cumin
    2 Tsp Garlic Powder
    2 Tsp Paprika
    2 Tsp Mild Chilli Powder
    1 Tsp Castor Sugar
    1 Tsp Garam Masala
    1 Tsp Ground Ginger
    1 Tsp Dried Mint

Mexican Dry Marinade

1 Tbsp Chilli Powder
    1 Tbsp Paprika
    1 Tbsp Ground cumin
    2 Tsp Dried Oregano
    1 Tsp Garlic Powder (don't use garlic salt)
    1 Tsp Ground Cayenne Pepper
    1 Tsp Castor Sugar
    ½ Tsp Dark Cocoa Powder (omit if you don't have)
    1 Tsp Salt (or low salt)

Chinese Dry Marinade

2 Tsp Anise Seed (crushed)
    2 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
    2 Tsp Fennel Seed (crushed)
    2 Tsp Ground Cloves
    2 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
    1 Tsp Castor Sugar
    1½ Tsp Ground Ginger
    1½ Tsp Ground Allspice
    NSD Challenge 2010:Jul 12/12 ;); Jun 21/14 :T; May : 6/6 :D
    GC 2010: Jul £134.03/£150.00 :cool:; Jun £278.86/£275.00 :mad:; May £276.13/£280.00 :T
  • Jet
    Jet Posts: 1,624 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to take the chicken breasts off the chicken before cooking and marinade and cook them separetely. Must work out a lot cheaper and healthier than the packs in the supermarket.
  • gems2381
    gems2381 Posts: 431 Forumite
    Options
    I cheat and buy bottled marinades, Paul Newmans BBQ sauce is great about £1.30 a bottle but does for 2 packs of chicken fillets. I just leave the chicken to marinade then oven cook, great for wraps my boyfriend loves them.
    Trying to sort my life out, and I'm going to get there!
  • woofwoofwoof
    Options
    Does anyone have a recipe for tikka sauce that is easy to make and that can be eaten cold? My DS loves the stuff in wraps and I'm not sure if I can just mix cooked chicken with the ready made sauce from a jar.
    :hello:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport