Great Cheap kids' birthday parties Hunt

Comments

• Danyd
    Danyd Posts: 1 Newbie
    My children are both January children so always have problem with what to do but last year for my daughters birthday we got a group of friends round on the Saturday morning 9.30-12 and had a breakfast and chocolate party. I did them a big breakfast of cereal multipacks (got them for £1 each luckily) pancakes, waffles, toast chocolate spread etc. then gave them all a bowl of melted chocolate and gave them different things to dip marshmallows, biscuits and such. Then rather than a big cake made a flat square gave them all a bit and let them decorate themselves with chocolate and other bits all they made got out in their party bag to take home. In bags just put in a chocolate penguin got cheap after Xmas, also made them aprons out of old pillowcases. Whole party cost about £15.

Did same this year but instead of chocolate they decorated cupcakes then watched a film so under £10.

Kids loved it and all left stuffed told they didn't eat till dinner time and parents loved it.
  • HappySad
    HappySad Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    "Playdate party"..4 my 8 year old son. Zone my home with different activities in each room. Board games, TV, computer games, art, pizza making, table football, Lego & play in garden ( sand pit & climbing frame) Kids play what ever they want. I take 2 kids at a time to create their own pizza on wholemeal pitta bread base. I give books too 4 party bag presents with thank you message in them on self printed stickers from Avery (buy @Staples or Amazon). Drinks are Smoothy cartons 4 convenience.

I have a strong network of mum friends and we have always worked together to create parties for are own children. One does balloon modelling, one does face painting, catering, photography, party games etc. We would have the parties in our own homes or a hired hall.
    “…the ‘insatiability doctrine – we spend money we don’t have, on things we don’t need, to make impressions that don’t last, on people we don’t care about.” Professor Tim Jackson

“The best things in life is not things"
  • HappySad
    HappySad Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    janeydob wrote: »
    When my sons were each in about year 1 at primary school they had their birthday parties at the local fire station!! The fire brigade offer this for free as long as they can include a fire safety talk ... and who's going to complain about that?! The children got to climb in a fire engine, look round the station, and best of all squirt the hose at the end!

I just contacted the station at least 2 weeks before the party to arrange a date, then everyone turned up on the day. For some reason a lot of the mums didn't mind hanging around while the firemen were there ... ;-)

This is much an amazing idea 4 a party!!!!! My youngest son will love this... :T
    “…the ‘insatiability doctrine – we spend money we don’t have, on things we don’t need, to make impressions that don’t last, on people we don’t care about.” Professor Tim Jackson

“The best things in life is not things"
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Once mine got to a certain age, I found it more cost effective to invite a handful of children to our house and then take them to an activity of choice, but instead of eating there we would go and get a kfc bucket and have a cake at home either before or after going. We have taken kids to football matches, bowling, laserquest and more recently a photoshoot session. Doing it this way means we have avoided the min number required by many places that host kids parties.
  • tzia_2
    tzia_2 Posts: 14 Forumite
    I have found giving a small party at home a theme helps me and makes it a little more special for them. I order a cheap cake topper to put on the cake and we centre a few games around the theme and have a colouring/making table with printed pictures. Don't forget some stickers for taking part as well as a bigger sticker for winning games.
    For repunzel we did pin the frying pan on Fin instead of pin tail on donkey and we made a cardboard tower with the witch picture on which they threw balls at.
    For peppa pig we did pin tail on peppa and we got some big bubble wrap on the floor for jumping in muddy puddles.
    Obviously we did the classics of pass the parcel and musical statues as well and changed the name of some of the games to 'what's the time daddy pig' and 'peppa says' instead of Simon says.
    A simple music cd to dance to with actions is great if you or an older sibling is prepared to start off dancing/actions and balloons are a must.

Outside of that our local sports centre and swimming centre is fairly cheap. As the get older you only have 1 or 2 friends instead of a group. This year my oldest and a friend is doing a ranger day at the local animal rescue centre £15 each plus packed lunch.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    tzia wrote: »
    For peppa pig we did pin tail on peppa
    You could have used Delphine Donkey!
  • BAGGY
    BAGGY Posts: 522 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I did a packed lunch for the kids that came to my boy's birthday. I bought the chinese take away type paper carriers and pre filled them with a couple of sandwiches, a small bag of puffy crisps, a choc biccy and a cup drink (less spillage). My boys decorated the bags with stampers.
    For the party bag I bought paper cups from £1 shop and cello bags. Filled the cups with popcorn, added a few cheapo toys - car, pencil, hairbands, farting putty - and placed a cupcake on top of the paper cup. Tied the bag and added a home printed thanks tag withthe boy's photo on. Came to about 60p each.
    Next year I am going to do a cinema party at home. Print tickets as invites. Close the curtains and set chairs in rows. 'Sell' popcorn and hot dogs. Download the latest kids film and sit back for an hour of peace (with any luck).
  • Hi, does anyone have any ideas for a 1st Birthday party please? We are going to hold it in the afternoon at our house just for 2 or 3 hours as we don't want to overtire the twins and there will only be 4 other children there (similar age). TIA
    :j:T Gorgeous twin girls born 1st Nov 2012 :T:j
  • Ive just booked my daughter a bowling party for £39 for 12 kids through groupon. Might be worth signing up for your area.

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/newcastle/the-dunes/26637947?context=sold-out&treatment=similar-category&bcsp=30kIv06TNiFIqEccvIYmdQ
  • Hi, does anyone have any ideas for a 1st Birthday party please? We are going to hold it in the afternoon at our house just for 2 or 3 hours as we don't want to overtire the twins and there will only be 4 other children there (similar age). TIA

Decorations:
    Balloons, streamers, baby books, photo albums and photos of the birthday child. For a special reminder of the day, make an album celebrating baby's 1st year. The front could be set up like a news magazine. Include newspaper items from the day he was born.

Cake and Food:
    Typical finger foods with a cake with a huge one on it.
    Gift for guests: Make paper roll thanks you's, tied with a ribbon, attach a pretty flower or favorite symbol.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure