MSE News: SSE handed £10.5m mis-selling fine – can you claim compensation?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
29 replies 3.6K views
13»

Replies

• SSE_2SSE_2 Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    8 Posts
    Hello, I would like to confirm that SSE will not be passing this fine onto customers. For anyone who feels they (or a member of their family) were mis-sold they can contact our dedicated Sales Guarantee team on 0800 975 3341. Thanks, Holly.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of SSE. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • WywthWywth Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello, I would like to confirm that SSE will not be passing this fine onto customers....

Nonsense.

Where do you think the £10.5m along with your wages comes from? :huh:

Or are you saying SSE will be looking to its shareholders for the £10.5m required? :cool:
  • Lol. Is the fine tax deductible? :p
  • sooty&sweepsooty&sweep Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Hi

Our deal with power is just coming to an end and I was planning to switch to SSE as they were offering the best deal & they appeared to have a good customer service rating. Are they best avoided ?
    Jen
  • Wywth wrote: »
    Nonsense.

Where do you think the £10.5m along with your wages comes from? :huh:

Or are you saying SSE will be looking to its shareholders for the £10.5m required? :cool:

Her wages probably come from the SSE Group. The Group as like most large companies will have several income streams. Why do you automatically assume the fine will be passed onto customers?
  • caveat_emptorcaveat_emptor Forumite
    713 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    It's about time an energy company was punished for this although the fine is a joke. The fact that this has been going on for some time questions Ofgem's effectiveness as a regulator. Even the SSE advert states that they are not alone and in my experience they are not. Some time ago I had same problem with Scottish Power when I was given false tariff data.which they admitted and switched me back to my previous supplier. At that time I reported to ConsumerDirect etc. etc and the then Labour Minister for Consumer Affairs and got nowhere at all
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
  • Richie-from-the-BoroRichie-from-the-Boro Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    - if fines imposed were taken from the share dividends only
    - then the real regulator .. .. the shareholders .. .. would bring real effective voting pressure into the process
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Hi can anyone please help me.

In 2009 i was with british gas. A doorstep salesman from sse said i couls save money if i switched and showed me what i could save on his tablet. I switched one fuel... put xant remember which one. He said i will only have to pay something like £40 but my bill was more like £80 - more than i was paying before!!

I have no documents or account numbers, etc. Is there anything i can do?
    June Grocery Challange £141.00/£240[/SIZE]
    VSP Challenge £46.61[/SIZE]
    SPC £11.61[/SIZE]
    In approx £1800 debt! Want to be debt free for March 2014[/SIZE]
    Reclaiming what I'm owed - Halifax, Yorkshire Bank & Argos[/SIZE]
  • i received bill at end of march for £975 underpaid in gas from SSE after signing up in Marks and Spencers in October 2011, they have offered to allow me to pay it off at £19 per month with £100 compensation, does this seem fair
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Top savings accounts

Up to 1.7% fixed or 0.6% easy access

MSE Guides

24 craft beers for £26 delivered

Flavourly newbies only (norm £70ish)

MSE Deals