MSE News: SSE handed £10.5m mis-selling fine – can you claim compensation?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
29 replies 3.6K views

Replies

• Richie-from-the-BoroRichie-from-the-Boro Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Scottish Power, Npower & Eon were in the same trough .. .. Ofgem outcomes are still being considered.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Privatising this industry was a genius idea, don't you think? :p
  • Richie-from-the-BoroRichie-from-the-Boro Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Privatising this industry was a genius idea, don't you think? :p

- they're already about 11% through privatising the NHS, and no one's noticing that .. .. at all, bedroom tax ?
    - stuff called water falls out of the sky every day on this beautiful Island, that went to the French
    - the French with 59 nuclear reactors have a surplus of electricery, Électricite de France [EDF is the UK'™s largest electricity supplier
    - Npower [bought National Power, Midlands Electricity, Calortex and Independent Energy] is part of the German RWE Group
    - E.ON [bought Powergen UK] the UK's third largest natural gas supplier, is a subsidiary of German E.ON Group
    - Scottish Power, originally formed from the privatisation of South of Scotland Electricity Board, is owned by Spanish utility Iberdrola
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • wakeupalarmwakeupalarm Forumite
    811 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    And SSE is British, it doesn't matter what nationality the companies are they are all out to screw their customers.

In an article in today's telegraph, there are calls for a Police investigation into SSE for the largest ever fraud in the energy market. But this has been going on since the consumer market was opened up to competition, by all energy companies. The number of postings on this and other forums about salesman knocking on doors and telling lies or people being accosted in the supermarket by these salesman just to get their commission is in the tens of thousands and go back over 10 years.

Funny how OFGEM is so shocked by this all of a sudden when its be going on and being discussed for years upon years.
  • Pegjes44Pegjes44 Forumite
    371 Posts
    Just a question: Is Southern Electric part of the SSE Company.

They've got the logo but i can find it on the ineternet.
    Thanks
  • edited 4 April 2013 at 10:52AM
    MillicentBystanderMillicentBystander Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    edited 4 April 2013 at 10:52AM
    And SSE is British, it doesn't matter what nationality the companies are they are all out to screw their customers.

In an article in today's telegraph, there are calls for a Police investigation into SSE for the largest ever fraud in the energy market. But this has been going on since the consumer market was opened up to competition, by all energy companies. The number of postings on this and other forums about salesman knocking on doors and telling lies or people being accosted in the supermarket by these salesman just to get their commission is in the tens of thousands and go back over 10 years.

Funny how OFGEM is so shocked by this all of a sudden when its be going on and being discussed for years upon years.

OFGEM have never been quick on the uptake when action is required to stop the customer being ripped off. ;)

Edit: It really is about time that the directors of these companies were held personally responsible to pay least a %tage of these fines. In this case the Govt. really can't lose - the fine goes to their coffers and the SSE customers effectively make up the shortfall. Whilst BG are not being investigated, by way of putting this fine to a multi billion pound company in context, BG's MD reportedly received over £3 million in remuneration last year. IIRC I'm sure I witnessed the SSE head honcho whilst being interviewed on TV stating no heads have rolled for this scandal. If true, that basically demonstrates what they think of their customers.

PS:
    But the regulator shrank from handing its case files to police to investigate for possible fraud.

"We did not find any evidence that there was any intention to deliberately mis-sell energy," a spokesman said.

Huh??

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/453269/20130403/fuel-bills-prices.htm
  • philD_2philD_2 Forumite
    88 Posts
    if you pay sales people a poor basic salary and then offer them £25 for everyone they sign up, they are gonna use any tactic they can, aren't they!!

That's why SSE were fined sunshine - but the fine was NOT enough. People should group together (RBS for example) and bring charges against these companies - SSE being a prime example.
  • philD_2philD_2 Forumite
    88 Posts
    Pegjes44 wrote: »
    Just a question: Is Southern Electric part of the SSE Company.

They've got the logo but i can find it on the ineternet.
    Thanks

If you've been 'ripped off' then SSE is a probable target.
  • lara72lara72 Forumite
    9 Posts
    How do you find out if you were a victim of this?. My parents took it out from a door to door salesman a couple of years ago as he promised their monthly bill will be less, which it has, SSE only ever put it up when they did it nationally. I have been trying to find an old bill to see what their previous tariff was but can't.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals