PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How long to keep leftover chinese takeaway?

Options

Comments

• quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I always freeze leftover chinese (including rice) then i reheat it to piping hot in the oven i know your not suppose to reheat rice but i've been doing it for 20 years now and so far never been sick, again our chinese is a nice sit down place and things are made fresh.
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • mummyroysof3
    mummyroysof3 Posts: 4,566 Forumite
    Options
    What's left over takeaway? Lol
    Have a Bsc Hons open degree from the Open University 2015 :j:D:eek::T
  • heavenleigh
    heavenleigh Posts: 906 Forumite
    Options
    What's left over takeaway? Lol
    Breakfast...neighbor, was going to use your name but though better of it!
    Any Vodka tonight?:beer:
    I will save my tesco £1 savings stamps this year! .......so far = £50 (full card#1)
    Card #2 £6. I will not be skint at Chistmas this year!

Total £56
  • wik
    wik Posts: 575 Forumite
    Options
    OP.. do you have a digital thermometer? If so you can safely reheat food to above 75oC... but only if has been cooled down properly first! If it was sat out on table overnight just ditch it!!
    wik x
    "Aunty C McB-Wik"
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    it depends - i wouldn't keep it from a random take away place. We always use the same chinese takeaway so would happily keep and reheat their leftovers using the 3 day rule. If you're in any doubt just bin it!

ill merge this with reheating quick questions later

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In the end when I checked DS had taken alot of the chicken out and eaten that-god knows when, teenagers eh.
    So what was left was mostly veggies and sauce lol. Heated up till it was steaming and had it with some bread-so far no issues :).

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• Smoosh
    Smoosh Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I usually keep mine for 2-3 days, including rice. Never had any problems so far.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    How long can you safely store the leftovers of a Chinese takeaway in a fridge for, that stays at a constant 5 degrees? We have so much left often from our takeaway this evening that it would be a shame to dispose of it but I only want to store it for up to 48 hours if it will still be safe.
  • Waffle_On
    Options
    Most dishes will be fine stored in the fridge for 48 hours max, and thoroughly reheated.

Egg fried rice for example, is made by cooking, cooling, storing then frying the rice. As it's already been cooked and reheated, it's not safe to reheat again. Plus cooked rice can be high risk for food poisoning. As a general rule, most rice dishes should be eaten on the first sitting or go in the bin.
    Shrinking my mortgage!
    Nov 13 £166,000

Jan 17 £142,900
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    I store in fridge only if I know I will be eating it the next day - otherwise it goes in freezer. I know theoretically it should last longer, but I prefer to 'play safe'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure